Assessment Experiment

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gents (and ladies) and even LLP.

I wondered if we could get an experiment going, just out of interest from me.

Feedback from players, coaches and assessors vary somewhat, obviously from personal perspectives, which is entirely understandable. But how do refs view certain things, we seem to differ on elite issues (usually foul play) but what about the community game? Are we any good at assessing others?

I propose I send a varying group a DVD of a game and ask you to do an assessors report.

I would ask for the group to contain, advisers/assessors, varying level referees and if possible a referee from another country.

I could then report back, themes or mega opposing opinions (with clips).

Anyone up for this?

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Might be easier to post the video or clips on youtube, and restrict access and commenting to those you want

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's up to 80mins long, the file size would be huge

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Not a problem, I've seen full rugby matches on youtube.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Vimeo is ideal for this - it'll take huge files, let you download them, and password protect them so that only the people as are supposed to can see it.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok cool, so can do it online, anyone up for it?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'd do it, provided:

1. The video is at a quality of the equivalent of L6 or better. I only say that b/c I would be useless at anything lower in terms of "what I see that needs focus vs. what this referee needs to do at this level". Note that with ARs this would be even better, but recognize that most "fly solo" until L4.

2. There is an open mic on the referee to hear everything (game footage is useless without sound from referee open mic)

3. The camera angle is decent so that we get a good view.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
which Assessor's Report are you going to use - IRB, RFU Panel, Group, RFU Form 2, RFU Coaching, etc ?

each of these Forms is discussed at a half day training (mostly full day) course. Plus we work hard on assessing / advising skills and convergence training.

Doing a match referee assessment without having had that training isn't easy.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
which Assessor's Report are you going to use - IRB, RFU Panel, Group, RFU Form 2, RFU Coaching, etc ?

each of these Forms is discussed at a half day training (mostly full day) course. Plus we work hard on assessing / advising skills and convergence training.

Doing a match referee assessment without having had that training isn't easy.

The ability of being able to recogize what's most important for a referee to address is more important than the form used to capture these issues.

Most would not be aware of the "input" side of the blank form, but would be familiar with the "output" side as they would have seen it on their own reports.

In short: for this exercise, given this forum, the form is close to irrelevant other than stacking forms side-by-side. The accuracy, detail, and relevance of the data captured are more important than the form itself.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The ability of being able to recogize what's most important for a referee to address is more important than the form used to capture these issues.

Most would not be aware of the "input" side of the blank form, but would be familiar with the "output" side as they would have seen it on their own reports.

In short: for this exercise, given this forum, the form is close to irrelevant other than stacking forms side-by-side. The accuracy, detail, and relevance of the data captured are more important than the form itself.

Bryan - 100% agree.

Collecting the "evidence", synthasising what is relevant, assessing it in the context of the match, alongside the referees's management, and overal technical aptitude / law application and then producing a relevant report is the key for me. I don't care which report form it is all done on, but raised the issue for Andy's consideration.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd be interested in seeing what I thought as a new referee compared to some more experienced people.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I will join in if you need another.

just to be clear...the 2 page assessment you use over there...not the minute by minute 8 page report usar uses - correct?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm up for it

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will join in if you need another.

just to be clear...the 2 page assessment you use over there...not the minute by minute 8 page report usar uses - correct?

Simple as I can make it. I am more interested in themes.

Its also good to assess someone else, I have done it this season and its a tough job, but very valuable to my development.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
after you have your assessors lined up send out the form you want used.