[Line out] Attacking players slowly walk into the line-out just in time for a throw ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The issue for me is preventing the team walking in using that to generate momentum for the lift. Having lifted in the line-out believe me it makes a difference, and crucially also saves energy..

that's an interesting point.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
so NO huddle at all, even a really brief one ?

... or if you do allow them a brief huddle 10m back, why not allow it 3m back ?

hmm... ok, I'll try and be as clear as I can to avoid as much doubt as possible; not sure I said I didn't allow a huddle.

I'm ok with a huddle, provided it doesn't take too long, and provided they then either all get into the lineout without stopping, or drop back to the 10m
If they stop on the way to the lineout (either without or after a huddle), I manage them to either get in the lineout or drop back to the 10m line. I'm looking for two straight lines of players in the lineout before the ball is released.
Hope that helps...

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The huddle can be seen as a time wasting issue and this can be managed with "time off/time on" signals. I recall that Mill Hill used to do this every line out - the captain was also the #2 - until I told him that next time his team took more than 10 seconds to agree the call I would FK for time wasting. It worked!

As for the walking in bit of the OP; it is case of managing it like a scrum engage. Tell the team throwing in, as they walk in for the first line out, that they must "set before they go". This gives the oppo a chance to change where they are standing, lifters and challengers etc, and makes for a fair contest.

you must also make sure that you get the throwing team to tell you numbers early and you communicate this to the opposition.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
When a team puts in fewer players than 7 then tries to take a throw before opposition has had time to match in order to milk a FK, some refs declare that they won't be enforcing the numbers requirement on the non-throwing team.

as the laws permit of course.

19.8(e) If the team throwing in the ball put fewer than the usual number of players in the lineout, their opponents must be given a reasonable time to move enough players out of the lineout to satisfy this Law.

The only quibble over this lkaw I can see if what constitutes "the usual number". I would imagine the easiest approach is whatever the throwing team put in, the other team need a "reasonable time" to match or have less than that. End of.

Do you guys still see sides trying to con a "numbers" FK?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If they want to walk in, fine, but pause then jump/lift. Otherwise I believe they are getting an unfair advantge over the defending side.

so you wouldn't allow a roving jumper that having created a lineout then moves and enters in a gap and is lifted, as that is creating a momentum?

Didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do you guys still see sides trying to con a "numbers" FK?

didds

Happens all the time here but I think to a lesser extent than in previous years.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As for the walking in bit of the OP; it is case of managing it like a scrum engage. Tell the team throwing in, as they walk in for the first line out, that they must "set before they go". This gives the oppo a chance to change where they are standing, lifters and challengers etc, and makes for a fair contest.

so then when they form up in a line, and do some swapping places, or moving forward / backaward -- do you insist they all come to a halt and are stationary before the ball comes in?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The issue for me is preventing the team walking in using that to generate momentum for the lift. Having lifted in the line-out believe me it makes a difference, and crucially also saves energy.
If they want to walk in, fine, but pause then jump/lift. Otherwise I believe they are getting an unfair advantge over the defending side.
If it continues what's to stop the defending side doing it, we could have lineouts starting with teams 10m (or more) apart.

often I see teams run the acting SH into a gap w/ 2 lifters (the actual SH swaps out) for the momentum in the jump, should this be disallowed?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have no problem with the huddle but will never call the defending team for having too many unless it is really clear and obvious or called honestly by the attacking team before the huddle breaks to walk to the line.