Australian Law Experiments

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
1. The points system is changed and is in line with the Varsity Cup: five points for a try, three points for a conversion and two points for a penalty goal or a drop goal, making a try worth potentially four times the value of a penalty goal.
The danger is that risking a penalty to save a try becomes more attractive,. This would put more pressure on the referee to award cards. Not sure I like this.
2. Throwing in to line-outs
a. Play will continue if there is no contest for a the ball at a skew throw-in beyond the first two players on the thrower's side in the line-out.
Presumably this will simply lead to a nominal effort to contest.
b. Play will continue if a penalty is kicked into touch even if time is expired.
Excellent.
3. Quick throw-ins
The quick throw-in is allowed even if the ball has been played by a player or players who do not throw the ball in, provided that the same ball is used and the line-out has not been formed.
Good in that an opponent cannot prevent a QTI; dodgy if players play games with the ball while in touch.
If the ball touches replacement players or support staff, a quick throw-in is allowed provided that their intervention is not deliberate. If it is deliberate, a penalty kick is awarded 15 metres in from touch.
Looks good. May lead to some arguments!
4. Time
The time allowed for conversions to be reduced from 90 seconds to 60 seconds, time to start when the try is scored.
Presumably from when the referee signals the award (to allow for TMO rulings, consultations with AR etc.
The time allowed for penalty kicks at goal to be reduced from 60 seconds to 45 seconds, time to start when the kicking tee arrives.
And if there is a delay in finding the tee? (At grass roots that often happens.)
There is to be a time limit of 30 seconds to set and feed the scrum, time to start when the referee makes the mark. (The scrum may be moved away from a minor injury.)
Who will time this? What about no-fault collapses?
5. Scrum 'interpretations'
If the scrum feed is not straight play will; proceed if the opposing team does not attempt to hook the ball. But there must be the opportunity to contest the scrum feed.
As with the lineout, this will presumably lead to a quick flash of the foot to make it look as if a genuine attempt is being made to hook the ball. May work if straightness is better policed than now.
The scrumhalf of the team not winning the ball may not enter the space between the flank and the No.8.
Good. Tidies thing up.
The scrumhalf of the team not winning the ball may not make contact with the opposing forwards in the scrum.
Good again.
6. Bonus points
The French system is used for try bonus points. The team scoring three or more tries more than the opponents will get a try bonus point.
Better than both sides being able to get the bonus, as atr present.
7. TMO
The TMO is to be used only for try-scoring and in-goal decisions.
Bad idea. Some aspects of foul play need to be reviewed - often by the referee from the big screen.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
OB,

You are correct, the points scoring system only works because there is more emphasis to punish cynical offences with a card, however a card also normally costs the receiving team about 16 points in the NRC, so it is rewarding to the teams to defend positively, which most do.

The lineout, yes, means teams will generally always contest or concede if they are not doing so the easy turnover is not awarded.

The QTI is look at as being no nonsense, any sort of nonsense basically ends up ruling out the QTI, or if to the advantage of the team throwing in, ends up with a Penalty Kick on the 15m.

RE Timing: Correct. If Tee has an issue referee will call time off probably, if repeated may rule tough luck.

IMHO This is a hurry up and set up to the players, and the referee to get on with the call, normal scrum management follows. I believe this is more PR than actual affect.

Feed: Can't be worse can it.

Pocket: I agree.

Bonus: I like this one, gives the losing team something to still play for as they can still ruin a winning teams bonus point.

TMO: The idea is to not have long stops looking at a TMO, mainly done because the stadiums these games are played in do not have big screens, so citing is used for foul play.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
1. The points system is changed and is in line with the Varsity Cup: five points for a try, three points for a conversion and two points for a penalty goal or a drop goal, making a try worth potentially four times the value of a penalty goal.
The danger is that risking a penalty to save a try becomes more attractive,. This would put more pressure on the referee to award cards. Not sure I like this

This was in place last year and worked really well (fans of penalty shots at goal will be disappointed).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dickie

What happened to the "no shots at goal from scrum PKs" that they had last year?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
RE Timing: Correct. If Tee has an issue referee will call time off probably, if repeated may rule tough luck.

What's wrong with a drop kick? All the teams know about the 60 second rule so if they don't get a tee there in time it should be "drop kick it now of tough luck".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember that one. Drift? Menace?

Didn't get voted in I believe.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Some good points. Let's see how many reach discussion after the RWC for inclusion in the next Law re-write/update

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
3. Quick throw-ins

The quick throw-in is allowed even if the ball has been played by a player or players who do not throw the ball in, provided that the same ball is used and the line-out has not been formed.

If the ball touches replacement players or support staff, a quick throw-in is allowed provided that their intervention is not deliberate. If it is deliberate, a penalty kick is awarded 15 metres in from touch.

So a quick throw is still impossible if a spectator touches the ball. Sensible - we can't have spectators acting as partisan ball-boys assisting QTI.

BUT the experiment does seem to allow, on a Red throw in, Red players to throw the ball from one to another, lookig for a chance to take a sudden QTI. Which I am sure is not what is intended.

The change I'd like to see is that a QTI is not invalidated by an Opponent touching the ball. But if it's a red throw in then the first red player to gather the ball has to be the one who takes the QTI.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
BUT the experiment does seem to allow, on a Red throw in, Red players to throw the ball from one to another, lookig for a chance to take a sudden QTI. Which I am sure is not what is intended.

Yes, this does happen. A bit like players throwing the ball around prior to a 22 drop out. I don't remember it being an issue.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Crossref. Not quite.

QTI fine if spectator touches it. Own subs or staff cannot deliberately catch and give to their own team to speed up a QTI. That's a PK on the 15m.