Auuustralian dual citizenship saga

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I picked up on this shenanigans today./..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41826422

For those based in Oz, maybe you know a bit more and can clarify something for me?

I get the thing about dual citizenship meaning you can't run for Aus parliament.

BUT

AIUI you can't actually "lose" British/UK citizenship. The British/UK do not recognise a "rejection" of its citizenship and there are no processes in place therefore to enact such a thing.

So if somebody had dual Aus and UK citizenship... they could never ever stand for Aus parliament because they can't lose their UK citizenship status.

As an extreme this could be a baby born in the UK that then moved with its British parents (work visas etc) to Aus within a very very short time. It would need its own passport to travel so wold have a British passport and thus be in all intents and purposes a British/Uk citizen. It then lives the rest of its life in Aus and gets Aus citizenship as soon as it can because it identifies itself as Australian (understandably). It still however has a British./Uk citizenship - for ever.

Thus it could never stand for Aus parliament - even though its entire cognitive life has been as an Australian and it was only ever British for a few months asa baby (or even weeks etc ...)

?????????

didds

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Constitutional law makes the laws of rugby look more like dr Seuss's ABC. Probably written by our 12 year old's learned cousin. Best not go there.......

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You can renounce your citizenship, as long as you have some other citizenship to go to (you can't legally make yourself stateless)
https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/apply

In the current Australian fuss it doesn't seem to be very clear what is the position of people who are entitled to foreign citizenship but who didn't know or who never claimed it .
Eg Australians with foreign grandfather.

It all seems very odd, as very great proportion of Australians must be immigrants, children of immigrants or grand children of immigrants and are likely to be entitled to foreign citizenship if they applied for it

It's not clear if you can renounce a citizenship you haven't got (but would be entitled to if you applied for it)

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's not clear if you can renounce a citizenship you haven't got (but would be entitled to if you applied for it)

It appears that some countries won't allow you to renounce your citizenship even if you want to. I think our High Court has got this badly wrong by applying black-letter law when there is precedence for not doing so.

Part of the ruling included: "There is evident force in the submission of the amicus that s.44(i) consists of only two limbs: the verb 'is' is used in s. 44(i) only twice, and there is a comma followed by the disjunctive 'or' at the end of the first limb but not within the second limb."

Oxford comma brings down a Government?

Following the disqualification of Senator Malcolm Roberts, we now have Fraser Anning about to enter the Senate who received 19 primary votes at the last election.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Part of the ruling included: "There is evident force in the submission of the amicus that s.44(i) consists of only two limbs: the verb 'is' is used in s. 44(i) only twice, and there is a comma followed by the disjunctive 'or' at the end of the first limb but not within the second limb."

Oxford comma brings down a Government?
I was taught that :-
Punctuation today forms no part of an act and may not be regarded in ascertaining legislative intent
http://scholarship.law.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1882&context=scholar (an entertaining article if you are interested in the subject.)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There's at least one significant court judgmemt in recent years - and no I can't cite - that hinged on grammar.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
there's a lot to be said for a benign dictatorship

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There's at least one significant court judgmemt in recent years - and no I can't cite - that hinged on grammar.
Punctuation is not grammar. When you speak, you do not use punctuation (unless you are Victor Borge).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
for the purpose of disambiguation surely the easiest solution is to write "we invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers"

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I remember Stalin and the Strippers. 1960s bubblegum rock, best known for their hit Sipping tequila in the Gulag Archipeligo

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's not clear that you can give up your entitlement to a British passport that you have never before claimed d

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We, on this side of the pond, have been watching this citizenship farce with some amusement.

Who here is old enough to remember Australian Professional tennis player, John Alexander? Born in Sydney, from Sydneysider parents, winner of 34 Tour titles in both singles and doubles, and the youngest player to represent Australia in the Davis Cup. He's as Australian as you get, right? BZZZZT. Wrong.

Apparently, his grandfather was British which makes him a dual citizen... Oh dear

Now, we have the same sex marriage debate, and the comments from this North Queensland politician/plonker....

Australian Politics.... its the gift that just keeps on giving!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The nation that gave us my favourite politician of all time... Paul Keating

On ...

Bob Hawke:
"Now listen mate," [to John Browne, Minister of Sport, who was proposing a 110 per cent tax deduction for contributions to a Sports Foundation] "you're not getting 110 per cent. You can forget it. This is a ****ing Boulevard Hotel special, this is. The trouble is we are dealing with a sports junkie here [gesturing towards Bob Hawke]. I go out for a piss and they pull this one on me. Well that's the last time I leave you two alone. From now on, I'm sticking to you two like shit to a blanket. "

Wilson Tuckey:
"...You stupid foul-mouthed grub."
"Shut up! Sit down and shut up, you pig!"
"You boxhead you wouldn't know. You are flat out counting past ten."

Andrew Peacock:
"...if this gutless spiv, and I refer to him as a gutless spiv..."

Jim McLelland
"That you Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a f***ing dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us."

Others:
"You were heard in silence, so some of you scumbags on the front bench should just wait a minute until you hear the responses from me."

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The nation that gave us my favourite politician of all time... Paul Keating

and ...

On John Hewson:
•He’s like a shiver waiting for a spine
•Debating with him is like being flogged by a warm lettuce
•A feral abacus
•The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly (after Hewson asked him why he wouldn’t call an early election)

On Andrew Peacock:
•A souffle doesn’t rise twice

On Wilson Tuckey:
•He’d be flat out counting past ten

On John Howard:
•He’s like a lizard on a rock, alive but looking dead
•A desiccated coconut
•What we have got is a dead carcass, swinging in the breeze, but nobody will cut it down to replace him.
•…the brain-damaged Leader of the Opposition…
•But I will never get to the stage of wanting to lead the nation standing in front of the mirror each morning clipping the eyebrows here and clipping the eyebrows there with Janette and the kids: It’s like ‘Spot the eyebrows’.
•From this day onwards, Howard will wear his leadership like a crown of thorns, and in the parliament I’ll do everything to crucify him (speaking of his 1986 leadership)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You can always rely on Pauline Hanson for plenty of shits & giggles as well as some downright stupidity.

This little episode takes the cake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYD8nQ97HmU

... what on earth was she thinking?

Last edited: