Ball carrier going to ground voluntarily

rubyref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Had this on Saturday.

Black ball carrier running towards white defensive line of three players. Two metres short of them he goes to ground voluntarily with no white player in contact with him. He immediately presents the ball back towards his supporting teammates, releases the ball and rolls out of the way

White players shouting about him going to ground without being tackled and that he can't do that. However, I felt that the ball was immediately available and therefore he hadn't done anything against LOTG.

Was I right?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The law doesn't say you can't do this, except I think in the vicinty of a tackle?

What the law does say is what you must do once you are on the floor, and he did all that.

No problem for me.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I believe in another, similar, game, its called a voluntary tackle and is against the laws of their game.
In ours though, its allowed, although could be construed as cowardice in the face of the enemy:)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I believe in another, similar, game, its called a voluntary tackle and is against the laws of their game.
In ours though, its allowed, although could be construed as cowardice in the face of the enemy:)
:clap:
It begs the question (of the coach), why wouldn't you instruct the player to simply pass the ball to a team mate 2m from meeting the defence?
Was he a winger?:)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Black ball carrier running towards white defensive line of three players. Two metres short of them he goes to ground voluntarily with no white player in contact with him. He immediately presents the ball back towards his supporting teammates, releases the ball and rolls out of the way.
Makes you wonder why the 3 white defenders just didn't grab the ball without worrying about gates and offside lines etc. :chin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Goes to ground prior to the tackle.

His mates bind and engage the opposition creating a ruck on their own terms.

I can see it. I ain't sayin' it's smart, but I can see it.

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
yep - a convoluted (and energy-wasting) way to slow your own ball down!

The curse of the modern game - OVER-COACHING!!!!!!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
What age group?

'cos this sounds like a coaching drill, just that we haven't got the tackle pads out, so he went to ground in front of them anyway....

Well executed on the floor, but I think the coach needs to work with this player to get him to hit through the tackle pad and drive forward before going to ground - shoulder in low, lift and drive and then present the ball so his teammates get it on the front foot.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Makes you wonder why the 3 white defenders just didn't grab the ball without worrying about gates and offside lines etc. :chin:
Too busy appealing to the ref ...

rubyref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Ex-player in me was thinking "Take the contact you wuss!"

:clap:
Was he a winger?:)

Have a horrible feeling he was a forward :eek:

Too busy assisting the referee!

What age group?

Adult 2nd XV :(

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Have a horrible feeling he was a forward :eek:

There's the problem right there. He had probably never been given the ball before and didn't have a clue what to do, so he did what he sees the backs always doing....................falling over or dropping the ball :biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Ah - OK I could have understood some poor 12 year old getting slightly confused with the difference between training drills and a game... but at adult level I'd expect a bit more nouse.

Maybe PhilE has the right explanation - it wasn't a prop was it?