Ball flying out of scrum

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Re. this video on RugbyDump, tries 6 and 4:

In both cases, the ball comes flying out the back of the scrum in a rather obvious manner. Is it possible to do this legally?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Re. this video on RugbyDump, tries 6 and 4:

In both cases, the ball comes flying out the back of the scrum in a rather obvious manner. Is it possible to do this legally?

Watched the first one that comes up (yellow team) several times and still cant tell if its a hand that flicks the ball out or a foot.

If its the former its penalty, if its the latter its fine.

As to whether it is legaly possible? see my previous answer above.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
In both cases it appears (to me at least) that the ball is flicked out by the hand of the #8.

The question then is - can the 8 flick the ball out legally?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
what I see in those tiny screens: the 8 in both vids unbinds with his right arm and scoops it back. he could have picked it up and gone with it...was unbound...ball is out - play on.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
In both cases it appears (to me at least) that the ball is flicked out by the hand of the #8.

The question then is - can the 8 flick the ball out legally?

In general, when he unbinds with the ball at his feet, the scrum is over.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Since you can bind with one arm only, the #8 has not technically unbound if he only unbinds with one arm. I think both plays are illegal.

At low levels I would warn once and then ping. At top level they should know, but it might appear that referees allow it.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with OB.

Weirdly enoughm, this came up on Sunday, and I did exactly what OB said. One arm is still bound, and therefore you're technically playing it with your hand...

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
guess it comes down to 20.10(c)...

lets say those clips show him reaching down with one hand scooping it - with the left arm in and instantly going with it...is he still playing it in the scrum?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
ddjamo - you can always find grey areas near limiting conditions.

The #8 is supposed to unbind before handling the ball. Your call.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I probably agree with OB. Of course, if the #8 is binding a la Diprose at the end of a scrum, just resting his hands on the locks' arses, then he's not bound anyway - of course, when did he unbind in that situation...

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I probably agree with OB. Of course, if the #8 is binding a la Diprose at the end of a scrum, just resting his hands on the locks' arses, then he's not bound anyway - of course, when did he unbind in that situation...

Yes... that's another recent directive, isn't it? Number 8 must be full bound, and especially mustn't... crash into the second row on the engage?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the way that Jordan Crane is doing as we speak for Leicester in front of Mr Barnes's nose

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Don't worry, it doesn't matter once Wasps go uncontested :D

I continue to be impressed by "Mr Barnes" :)