[Law] Banned clothing sanction

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Under law 4, if you find a player wearing clothing you already told them was banned they should be sent off. Does this mean red or would a yellow be sufficient?

4.5 (c) [FONT=fs_blakeregular]If, at an inspection before the match, the referee or a touch judge tells a player that an item banned under this Law is being worn, and the player is subsequently found to be wearing that item on the playing area, that player is sent off for misconduct.[/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]
[/FONT]

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Sanction: A penalty kick is awarded at the place where play is restarted.

[/FONT]

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The LOTG make a distinction between "temporarily suspended" and "being sent off".[laws]10.7 Player sent off
A player who is sent-off takes no further part in the match.[/laws]Does sound like an early shower is what is being suggested by 4.5(c)

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with the others: Sent Off is a RED CARD :norc:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And then there's discretion by the ref.

If I've told a player to remove his earnings and somehow his nipple ring (or 'Prince Albert ' :wow:) gets revealed and he genuinely forgot about it then I might tell him to get subbed to 'fix it'. I'm not giving a straight red for that.
Same applies to leggings (crap I just used that naughty word)... I'll give him one more opportunity to take them off before flicking a red his way.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the way to manage it is to check the player when they line up for kick off --- and if he's still wearing the earring explain to the capt that if he is still on the field when you blow the whistle then you'll have to RC....

It's harder if he comes on as a sub though, you may not remember to re-check him, but it would be best to remember and refuse him permission to come on, rather than RC

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. I agree it is better to manage and/or use discretion, I just wasn't sure how to interpret the 'sent off'.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Has anyone ever had to red someone for non complience? Or issue a second request?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Has anyone ever had to red someone for non complience? Or issue a second request?

yes, I once told someone to change studs, and he came back on the field with them still on.

Let's be clear though - he didn't try and sneak on -- he came back with his coach and approached me and they said they weren't dangerous, last weeks ref had allowed them. they didn't have any other boots he could wear, coach said I was being ridiculous etc etc etc.

So yes, I said that if he was on the field when I blew the whistle I'd have to send him off.

So they started someone else instead and before long the player did come on from the bench wearing some borrowed boots. (I think they raided a second-hand / charity / lost/found boot store they found the clubhouse, but I never asked!)

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I've had to remind someone that if I checked and he hadn't changed, it was a straight red. Player started as a sub....

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Senior or Junior match?

Are we talking illegal footwear or just leggings?

Use your judgement.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I have had this happen, usually women, who have ear/nose rings. I'll ask everyone to remove their jewelry, then at some point in the match I will see that they did not comply. Usually I have told the player to leave the field until fixed or sub off.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Senior or Junior match?

Are we talking illegal footwear or just leggings?

Use your judgement.

your judgement leads you to either accept / reject the item.
once you have rejected it though, whatever it was, you can't then back down if they appear with it still there.