Bath v Quins uncontested scrums

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The video isn't up on the Premiership Rugby website yet, but apparently Barnes'y had three in the bin for Quins and they had to go to uncontested scrums.

It would be interesting to find out the sequence of events. :chin:

Apparently the commentator (ex-player) was saying when the prop was carded causing uncontested, they should have had to lose another man as well!!!

Edit: video just posted
http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/LatestVideos?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=dropdown

Last edited:

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
The video isn't up on the Premiership Rugby website yet, but apparently Barnes'y had three in the bin for Quins and they had to go to uncontested scrums.

It would be interesting to find out the sequence of events. :chin:

Apparently the commentator (ex-player) was saying when the prop was carded causing uncontested, they should have had to lose another man as well!!!

Edit: video just posted
http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/LatestVideos?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=dropdown

Surely youre not suggesting a player doesnt know the laws/regs??

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I watched the game, awful spectacle especially when the rl lads would have been watching to see Sam. Decisions by Barnes were ok but some really dodgy binding by props was completely ignored

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Bath were dominant in the scrums. Quins warned that both props had repeated offences.
Tight head pinged for repeatedly standing up and breaking bind
Second row pinged for entry at side in a maul (team repeated offending)
Penalty taken as 5m scrum.
Scrum wheels - quins blamed, new tight head sees yellow.
No chance for PT as scrum did not go forward.
No more tight heads avaiable, though there was a spare loose head.
Therefore uncontested, but no man off.

Frankly I thought Bath front row were binding on the arm and boring in all game - I would though - but it was only after the tight head came back that Barnes finally spotted what Bath were doing and pinged them for it.

But Bath were the better side on the day.

Camquin

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
it was shocking performance by quins, didn't compete in the lineout or the scrum.

TBF to Connor O'Shea he did say they would have preferred the PT against them than the 3 players in the bin.

On the night Barnes decided that the bin was the route he was taking and I agree with Camquin in that maybe the PT wasn't on as the scrum wasn't going forward, but was that more to do with the Quinns scrum trying everything they could (legal and illegal) to stop being put in the Teachers Stand?

However by going down the route of cards, uncontested scrums were inevitable, but this took the Bath advantage away :shrug:

Oh yes and one to add to the urban myth (although this is the first time I've heard this one) Austin Healey actually said, "if this goes uncontested then Quinns have to put 8 in the scrum, their back line will be non-existent" :wtf: He's being paid for saying that $h!t

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Just to claify - when the uncontested scrums happened and Quins could put just 5 in the scrum... could Bath not have also put 5 in the scrum and had three extra in the backline?

didds

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
no, if you have fifteen on the pitch you have to have eight in the scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it was shocking performance by quins, didn't compete in the lineout or the scrum.

TBF to Connor O'Shea he did say they would have preferred the PT against them than the 3 players in the bin.

hmm, then why not just just allow themselves to be pushed backwards and concede a try?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No more tight heads avaiable, though there was a spare loose head.
Therefore uncontested, but no man off.

that's correct, when you YC a prop and this causes uncontested you don't order a second person off with him.

BUT in hte situation above : aren't Quins requiired to make a further substution to get the loosehead on to the pitch to stand in the front row. As I believe that's mandatory? If you have uninjured front row players available, isn't it mandatory to have them on the pitch, in the front row, even if they are out of position and scrums are uncontested?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think they did.
Personally I suspect Quins were trying to stay down and Bath were pushing up illegally - but I admit to bias.

Camquin

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Watching it with my Quins glasses on, Bath 3 binding illegally and Bath 1 driving in. But I wasn't 1 metre away, and I'm not an international referee - who am I to question!!

Quins LH was not fit to return to the field so couldn't be used as a stand in front row

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Quins LH was not fit to return to the field so couldn't be used as a stand in front row

fair enough -- but if he had been fit (but not STE for tight head) he would have to come on, right?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I assume so yes CR - I believe Hooper was raising the question to WB asking Lambert to come back on as a TH, but a) he hasn't played there for at least a few years now (so may not be considered suitable??) and b) he was unfit anyway through illness

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
and he was getting his arse handed to him too!

I happened to share the changing room on Saturday with the panel ref that reffed the "A" game a few weeks back between Bath and Quinns, his quote (word for word) "most of that front row played the other week when I reffed them, they were shit then and they were shit last night!" :clap:

Last edited:

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Where are all of these regulations gents?

I need to brush up as I can hardly follow this thread!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
They are on the England Rugby website for RFU referees.
Regulation 13, Appendix 2
http://www.englandrugby.com/governance/regulations/

Where they are for The Welsh, I have no idea :shrug:

the England Rugby website doesn't contain the competition regs for the premiership, though.

the first para of regualtion 13 says

All matches played under the jurisdiction of the RFU and/or in RFU
Competitions or any other competition or merit table must be played in
accordance with the IRB Laws, IRB Regulations, the RFU Rules, the RFU
Regulations and any competition specific Regulations applicable to a
competition including
without limitation, the Premiership Regulations,
Championship Regulations, Anglo-Welsh Cup Regulations and British & Irish
Cup Regulations (as applicable).

We don't have the Premiership Regulations