Ben Mowen dumps Wallabies.....

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport.../story-fnii0ksb-1226798473755?from=public_rss

I don't buy it. After finally breaking into the wallabies, being named captain (although inevitability just short term until Pocock returns?) and with a World Cup looming, I can't believe that he's not left due to the pay conditions. No elite rugby player works that hard to make it to the top to just throw it away. I think he's using the family excuse as a trump card to not embarrass or hang the ARU out to dry (just in case France doesn't work out).

I'm sure he can easily just play super rugby and decline wallabies selection to limit his travel away from family. You don't need to just pack them up an move half way around the world. Gees, it's not as if he won't be travelling with his French side!

He's filthy with ARU for not topping his funding for sure, like they've done for Folau and others. I don't blame him if that is the reason. Pity he just couldn't say it.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
If he isn't interested in playing for the Wallabies, why would he then not go for the best deal?

Also, with the family commitments he has a point:

Super Rugby: 3 Week tour to NZ, 3 Week tour to SA, Plus 4 weekends away when playing Aussie teams, That's a total of roughly 7 weeks.

International Tri Nations: 1 Week in NZ, 1 Week in SA, 1 Week in Arg, one will generally actually be 2 weeks (normally SA), so that's another 4 weeks away.

International Tour: 6 Weeks in Europe (they arrived a week early).

International Camps: 4 Weeks of year.

Total of approx 21 Weeks in a year away.

If he spurns the Wallabies, the attractions of France are:

More money
Children learn a second language fluently.
Home basically every weekend
Off season rest.

The RWC is the only down side. Why wouldn't he go. he has given notice and is moving on. I believe he should lose no respect.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
yep, I agree he's obviously annoyed that the Wallabies didn't appreciate him.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Bloody hell. Is there some infighting @national/ARU level?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The ARU is broke because of its mismanagment. It has recently reduced match and contract payments, unless you're a league jumper....so the good players are heading o/s to chase the bigger bucks. (But are leaving for family reasons!)

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That's really quite sad. I hope for the game everything is sorted soon.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The ARU is broke because of its mismanagment. It has recently reduced match and contract payments, unless you're a league jumper....so the good players are heading o/s to chase the bigger bucks. (But are leaving for family reasons!)

Agree with the above comments.
Matt Giteau's foray into French club rugby will be attracting more and more top level Aussies to Europe. Great pay and an apparent great lifestyle with less long haul travel involved whilst experiencing other cultures would be an attractive option to a top level player and his wife. Anyone know which French club Mowen has signed with?
More will follow Giteau, Mitchell and Mowen.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Still a crying shame. Hope it's only a tempory fiscal drought.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Not sure what the TV deal is worth for the new 3rd Tier rugby competition, but it WILL suck more dollars out of the ARU.

The ARU's contribution to junior rugby in my area last season was 100 pairs of yellow, with green wallabies logo, shoe laces.
Kind of gives an indication of their financial position.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think my local club got more than that in rugby balls. Really sorry to hear it guys. I know we take the pee us POMS but I do like watching wallabies play

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
.. Our loss, France club's gain!..[/url]
To be honest the French clubs get little out of the deal. Not even logo-covered boots laces! The ultra rich individuals who run a small few french clubs obviously get their money's worth, otherwise they'd no longer invest in our beloved sport. Boudjellal @ Toulon, Alain Afflelou @ Bayonne don't give a fig for the future of the grassroots game. The club structure itself is a distant second, the overseas player's salaries are putting the clubs in debt. So no money for : Under-age rugby :( nor for revenoting worn out stadiums, nor for developing Academy players at key posts - like Number 8!

According to the French (rugby) press today, the big money for him was in Japan. However, he missed seeing his (18 month old) kid growing up. I suspect his missus may have had the final say about destination "Europe". Quins, Wasps & Toulon were in on the job offers, but he signed at Montpellier for the next 3 seasons. I think he's right to but family before his job. However, menace, paradoxily France is losing out big time. With over-seas players taking game time from our "up & coming" academy players. The only time wanna-be home grown players get a chance to shine is when the all stars are injured ; which happens very, very frequently (given how little time off they get it's not a surprise). Just as everybpdy starts to see France as the place to be, French rugby development falls completely apart. Sad, but very true. Coming to France has "ruined" Sexton, so few Irish players (as yet) are following suit, "Thank God" for Irish rugby, that is!

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

As long as the ARU pursues its policy of chasing has been league players as a quick fix to their lack of depth, instead of developing their own talent pool, they will continue to struggle both financially, and on the field. Instead of paying big money to buy sub-standard league players like Matt Rogers, Wendell Sailor & Lote Tuquiri, If they had used the money to run a genuine second tier domestic competition, they probably could have produced a dozen top flight players.

NOTE: I except Israel Folau from this criticism because he really does look to be the goods.

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well what do you expect. You work your butt off, make changes to your play under the instruction of the ARU,. Then be told you have to wait the 2 years before top up.
Then along come Folau, OK he is special, but he walks straight in on a full topped up contract.
Having said that the back row stocks do seem healthy at the moment.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure what the TV deal is worth for the new 3rd Tier rugby competition, but it WILL suck more dollars out of the ARU.

The ARU's contribution to junior rugby in my area last season was 100 pairs of yellow, with green wallabies logo, shoe laces.
Kind of gives an indication of their financial position.

Word is that the Foxtel TV deal will fully fund the 3rd tier....but we will see about that in next years ARU annual report (hidden under 'balancing item')

You got laces! We was gipped! We received nothing! If I recall correctly, in 2012 ARU annual report they spent less than 5% of exp budget on juniors/grassroots?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
As long as the ARU pursues its policy of chasing has been league players as a quick fix to their lack of depth, instead of developing their own talent pool, they will continue to struggle both financially, and on the field. Instead of paying big money to buy sub-standard league players like Matt Rogers, Wendell Sailor & Lote Tuquiri, If they had used the money to run a genuine second tier domestic competition, they probably could have produced a dozen top flight players.

NOTE: I except Israel Folau from this criticism because he really does look to be the goods.

Eh?
Having a under invested 2nd tier is an acceptable consequence if you recruit top talent Folau?
but not if you get Sailor Rogers Tuquiri? :love:

??

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Won't be any time soon! Super rugby crowds have dropped off (as has grass roots players aust wide) and the TV deals just aren't generating the $ like league and AFL. And let's not forget the exhorbidant pay deals and junketts for the board members!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
To be fair, Pulver has inherited a donkey and has to turn it into a Stallion. He's been open and upfront in his thinking, but the current stars were so well paid they are feeling the pinch (like us all).

Add to that a recession is starting to take hold in Australia, and it's not hard to see whats going on.

The new 3rd tier is fully funded by Foxtel for 2 years. It will be reassessed after that.

It'll only really get better if the Super Rugby teams and National teams start winning regularly, I find Australian crowds much different to European crowds. In Europe they will turn up to support their team win or lose, in Australia, a winning streak brings bigger crowds, a losing streak sees plenty of seats empty. There seems little loyalty.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It'll only really get better if the Super Rugby teams and National teams start winning regularly, I find Australian crowds much different to European crowds. In Europe they will turn up to support their team win or lose, in Australia, a winning streak brings bigger crowds, a losing streak sees plenty of seats empty. There seems little loyalty.

Bang on Robbie!

ACT is the worst for that! If their team isn't winning, then they're not going.

In its winning days, Brumbies attracted 20,000 crowd which was almost capacity for the ground (as did NRL Raiders), but now it averages about 13k-15,000. But then again, back then you could afford to take your family out to the game, but now you can't (even with junior players receiving a free general admission pass). Its just not value for money entertainment anymore. As players contracts have increased so has the ticket price of course. This year we couldn't even fill the ground for a semi final! I had spare tickets and couldn't give them away!