Bet you've never had this!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I had a handbag session in a game in August and did as above.

One of the coaches suggested I should have been in trying to stop it.

He "accused" me of blowing my whistle a couple of times and just standing back and watching.

:biggrin:
In some Gloucester clubs, the coach would be in there, chucking hay makers ... :)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Don't forget to print this thread off and next time you see him tell him he owes you a beer or 3!!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Funny enough had one on Saturday, why is always the backs that come in with the cheap shots???? :norc:

Because most of them are too soft to get fully involved, so stand back, pick your moment and deliver the goods is the sensible way to not get yourself crushed by an angry forward!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Because most of them are too soft to get fully involved, so stand back, pick your moment and deliver the goods is the sensible way to not get yourself crushed by an angry forward!

That sounds a lot like one of RAF Fighter Pilot Adolph "Sailor" Malan's Ten Rules for Air Fighting

"Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!"

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That sounds a lot like one of RAF Fighter Pilot Adolph "Sailor" Malan's Ten Rules for Air Fighting

"Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!"

Well as a South African he would know all about cheap shots :biggrin:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do you remember the Eng vs SA game where England seemed to get roundly punched around (still won), after the match an SA spokesman said one of "our players got thumped too, and we don't go round hitting our own players".... only to find on the replay that that was what had happened, a stray punch had missed an Englishman and gone on to thump a SA'n. He must still wake up at night screaming about that interview. :)

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
OK wrong sport and not totally related, but I remember playing soccer about 20 years ago when i moved here (didn't know about Dutch rugby when I came) and in one game our striker was getting a lot of cheap kicks to the ankles and shoves in the back from their centre back. Our striker was 5'8, stocky and bit of a nutcase, the centre back must have been 6'5 and looked like an angry lock in the O'Connell mode.

At some point our striker must have issued a final warning to this bald monster, because the last thing I remember of the game is after the final ankle cutter, he turned around, used this colossus' shoulders for leverage, pulled himself to get head to head and headbutted him twice before they both fell to the ground in a heap.

Needless to say, the ref called the game off at that point but strangely enough nobody else from either team saw fit to intervene!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
OK wrong sport and not totally related, but I remember playing soccer about 20 years ago when i moved here (didn't know about Dutch rugby when I came) and in one game our striker was getting a lot of cheap kicks to the ankles and shoves in the back from their centre back. Our striker was 5'8, stocky and bit of a nutcase, the centre back must have been 6'5 and looked like an angry lock in the O'Connell mode.

At some point our striker must have issued a final warning to this bald monster, because the last thing I remember of the game is after the final ankle cutter, he turned around, used this colossus' shoulders for leverage, pulled himself to get head to head and headbutted him twice before they both fell to the ground in a heap.

Needless to say, the ref called the game off at that point but strangely enough nobody else from either team saw fit to intervene!

This happen a lot in Holland? Just asking. Be there in a week and a bit:chin::shrug::horse:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Do you remember the Eng vs SA game where England seemed to get roundly punched around (still won), after the match an SA spokesman said one of "our players got thumped too, and we don't go round hitting our own players".... only to find on the replay that that was what had happened, a stray punch had missed an Englishman and gone on to thump a SA'n. He must still wake up at night screaming about that interview. :)
Rudi Straeuli - one time Bedford coach.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well as a South African he would know all about cheap shots :biggrin:

doglaugh.gif

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
AS PhilE said, give a couple of blasts, then stand back and take notes :wink:

Funny enough had one on Saturday, why is always the backs that come in with the cheap shots???? :norc:

That's because it takes us some time to ensure our hair is properly in place before entering the focus of the crowd's attention. Also, if we just watch from the sidelines tutting about Neanderthal behaviour among the fat boys, you lot accuse us of not being team players, and give us even less ball than usual to play with.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just to say a big thank you to all the posters. Clearly after not being afraid to issue 7 red cards in my first season I have gone a bit soft in my old age. I thought it was red at the time and should have stuck to my original thoughts! Guess that is the way you learn! Thanks to all, again really helpful!

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes, red. If he felt you were too loud and was too close to you, he should have moved away...