Boots

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The Adidas Nine 15s are no longer in service (they were a phenomal refereeing boot) so have now switched to the Regulate TRX FGs. A little bit heavier, but they appear to be more durable.

I use the Asics for ARing in tournaments but not much else; they're too heavy.

I have some 9 15s (older style) and they have lasted 2 seasons and are still ok

View attachment 1541

I wear them 'til the ground's too hard then it's some Asics astroturf shoes I got off e-bay for £9.00

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Do you like your copa mundail and how do they work in mud?

They are really comfortable, but not that great on anything other than firm or hard ground, which is why I have the world cups as well, and the blades.
If you want something that is more suitable in all conditions, I would go for the blade option rather than the really short studs

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I have some 9 15s (older style) and they have lasted 2 seasons and are still ok
Actually I'm talking about these (and before anyone tries the "they're not accepted" BS, every single referee at RWC 2007 got a pair and wore them, so if they're good enough for them, they're good enough for me!):

adida198857_112259_jb.jpg

However, not being able to find them in my size, I've now turned to these:

!BUpGd5!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DEEjlLl0zoyBKOkE,uPLg~~_35.JPG

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Finally decided on cleats seeing as how my FG finally gave out this last weekend :sad:. I ended up going with these.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Finally decided on cleats seeing as how my FG finally gave out this last weekend :sad:. I ended up going with these.

It's probably worth buying a cheap pair of metal studded boots if you're going to referee in England. They're on sale now over here. There's nothing worse than sliding on the mud in deep winter.

Having said that I'm based up North so maybe it's not that bad in London?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mizuno make great boots, if you avoid the entry level.

Do people really find that metal studs make you slower?

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Nope I don't I only wear them in pure mud though, so I really couldn't tell for sure, they help in mud, but for me if the field is just soggy i'll go with blades, molded everyday.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mizuno make great boots, if you avoid the entry level.

Do people really find that metal studs make you slower?

Are the Mizuno boots wide? I find that I can't buy Adidas boots as they're too narrow.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IF you buy Adidas football boots, then they arent that wide.
The rugby specific ones are a wider fit.
I have really wide feet, and have always found adidas to be fine.
I bought a new pair of predators today, and, although they will upset Simon Thomas and countless assessors, they are incredibly comfortable, and my wife had a voucher for Decathlon she gave me to use, so they were really cheap.

9206.jpg

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Really predators? Have you tried any other adidas boots? Honestly preds are horrible colors, but please say they are at least the lime green ones?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Preds are awesome boots, I have used them for the last 3 years and they are some of the comfiest boots ever.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
IF you buy Adidas football boots, then they arent that wide.
The rugby specific ones are a wider fit.
I have really wide feet, and have always found adidas to be fine.
I bought a new pair of predators today, and, although they will upset Simon Thomas and countless assessors, they are incredibly comfortable, and my wife had a voucher for Decathlon she gave me to use, so they were really cheap.

View attachment 1628

I don't get upset at all - but if you look like a clown, you had better be a bl**dy good referee to demonstrate to me that you aren't.

Image is important to a referee at all levels, but especially at L8 upwards as you move out the home Society confort zone. Coloured boots make a statement that some assessors, coaches and players may interpret any number of ways, whereas others will not even notice.

Primary function of boots is to make running easy, comfortable, turn easily, avoid injuries, and keep you upright. How they look is secondary, but at least keep them cleaned !

Wherever on the comformity to maverick scale you want to place yourself in appearance, behaviours etc is up to you to call - just make sure you are good enough to carry it off.

Last edited:

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Really predators? Have you tried any other adidas boots? Honestly preds are horrible colors, but please say they are at least the lime green ones?

I have Adidas World Cup and Copa Mundial as well, and they are also very comfortable, but the copa mundial have started to split a little.
The latest Predators are a similar fit.
The last predator range I didnt get on with, I didnt like the asymetric lacing, and they were quite narrow, unless you went for the rugby specific range, but they are quite expensive.

They didnt have the lime green ones in my size, so had to settle with the blue ones. There werent any plain old black boots in the store at all, only brightly coloured ones.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Does anybody have Mizuno boots? Are they a wide fit? I vaguely remember trying some on once but can't decide whether to risk it and buy a pair online.

In other news, I bought these today. Fortunately their HQ is nearby so I went and tried quite a few on in store!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
has anyone any experience with Nomis boots?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
has anyone any experience with Nomis boots?

Given their price I've only ever seen one pair - worn by a well off kid in my son's team. He got called a posh ******* (not by me I hasten to add) and never wore them again!:biggrin: They reappeared when they'd dulled down a bit.

His father who despite being well off is a tight arse got them 1/2 price from Lovell Sports. I can't remember them being anthing special - he appeared to be no better or worse for wearing them. He couldn't kick so that didn't come into it.