Bourgoin question refereeing

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
SA Rugby Referees said:
After three rounds of France's Top 14, Bourgoin have compiled a video of dubious refereeing decision and sent it off to René Hourquet.

Hourquet, a former Test referee and school principal from down in the Rhône Valley, is France's refereeing boss. He was sent the video on Wednesday.

Eric Catinot, Bourgoin's coach, said that a montage of dubious decisions was to be sent of incidents taken from Bourgoin's matches with Perpignan and Montauban.

So far Bourgoin have played and lost three matches and are second last on the table.

In Round 1 they lost 18-14 away to Montauban. In Round 2 they lost at home 22-16 to Perpignan. In Round 3 they lost 29-22 away to Biarritz. In beating Bourgoin Montauban scored five penalty goals and a dropped goal.

At issue are the first two matches.

When they played Montauban the referee was Akim Hadj Bachir and when they played Perpignan the referee was Eric Darrière.

France, like the rest of the world, is playing under experimental law variations.

Thoughts?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Same happens at International level, GP and Magners - constructive comments and discussion for clarification takes place and video evidence is often used.

In the paper earlier this week there was mention of an apology from the Elite Referee Manager to one Premiership Club's Director of Rugby - not the first - for a specific type of decision.

The posting you make has the usual Yappie negative slant on it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Perhaps the referees should make a video of all the players mistakes and dubious practises.:nono:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We just have Phil - to support and explain IRB's Safety and Tackle/Ruck sealing directives !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We just have Phil - to support and explain IRB's Safety and Tackle/Ruck sealing directives !

Going to see that movie at the next society meeting. I am told it is a whopping 3 minutes long! No chance of a choc ice then :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As a Society we put together clips from level 5,6 and 7 matches either we as Ref Coaches or the Clubs have videoed to highlight issues and to use at Development Squad meetings.

All very easy with latest technology and off the shelf software - why not do it yoursleves, the you can make it as long as you want !

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would love it, simply adore it, if, after travelling two hours on an exchange to referee a game that was simply a bag of shite, I could complain to the coaches and, with DVD evidence, say "there - I wish to complain that I, having given up my Saturday in the name of my sport, have just refereed two teams who were obvioulsy incompetent".

Now, please explain to me how you feel you could improve your game! :p

YES!!!!!

.... and then I woke up! :biggrin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Occasionally, very very occasionally, you do get the chance to opine...

I was at a, um, tempestuous, Hants League match. OV vs P'castrians. Not good friends; last game had involved some legal action allegedly, and there was concern that it could kick off big styleee. So they sent me :)

Nailed the OV i/centre for a "late" tackle - it was marginal, but a great chance to set out the stall.

He wasn't happy, but in fairness, didn't say a word. He had a shocker for the remaining 77 minutes.

Comes up to me in the bar, with a couple of friends, and tells me that the tackle call was wrong. I thought about it, and said that yes, it probably was wrong of me to have penalized him for that tackle.
Just as he started to smirk, I offered up that "after all, it was the only one that you landed all afternoon." His friends fell about, and he looked suitably crestfallen.

Those moments don't come up often, but when they do, you should seize them!