Boys will be boys II

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
U18's A division rugby. Blue = best team in county riding high certs to win league. Red = will prob avoid relegation, just.

Blue player goes to ground to gather the ball. "Play the ball" from me.

Red player on his feet stands over him and tries to take ball away making two clear tugs, on the second of which my arm goes out "Advantage Red Penalty Advantage (arm goes up and down) holding on" on the third tug the blue is a wriggling so mug the red overbalances and lands atop him. I blow as they want to continue their passionate embrace.

Blue player "He's got to release me, he's got to release me" and as he walks back the 10m "That's bollocks, he's got to release me, Bollocks!" Which got him a talking to and 10m (He was following the example of his coaches in this btw)

My reasoning. No tackle. Blue was already on the ground. Red hasn't got to let him up, Red was on feet and had rights to the ball. Blue is a numpty twice over 1 x for holding on 2 x for gobbing off.

Your thoughts.... good call or no?

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
So you gave the penalty for failing to release? Blue player curses your decision and gets 10m and a warning.

Dont see any problem. Seems very straightforward - well done.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Perfect.

Man on his feet is King.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
coachlettes felt red made a tackle. I explained what I saw; they mumbled in their beer and chilli...

so I asked them "Can you tackle a player on the ground?" and as one man they said "No, you've got to let him up".

I'm sorry to say I then had Leffe coming out of my nose.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
spot on Greg - PK then 10m for gobbing off.

Typical coaches lack of law knowledge.