Bright idea for a roof

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Not too sure if you all have seen this, but turn the sound up. Now we know why cloth doesn't make sense for a roof.
Yep. You can't beat a good old fashioned slate roof! :D

As soon as I saw it I wondered how the Millenium Dome roof would fare. :wow:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My shed roof fell in last week with the weight of snow on it. Mrs LLP spent the weekend on the roof refelting it after I'd jacked it back up and mended the trusses (in the roof not mine)

The Tesco Extra store in Scunthorpe collapsed last week as well - shut for 10 weeks (over Christmas etc) Mssers Morrison and Sainsbury must be very upset!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Tesco Extra store in Scunthorpe collapsed last week as well - shut for 10 weeks (over Christmas etc) Mssers Morrison and Sainsbury must be very upset!
That's the joy of this site - you'd not have been able to comment about S****horpe on the old RFU forums!

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
I was reading an article Sunday on bbc.com about the lack of snow equipment in England and was shocked. The writers mentioned how a few yrs ago, people proposed buying grit trucks, equipment for the airports and other equipment/materials for winter weather, but no one felt the need to pull the trigger. Not to say any of this would help keep roofs' from caving in, but it would help with the roads.

I live in Charlotte, which is just south of the snow belt. While we don't have a massive fleet of big trucks with blades on the front and spreaders on the back, we do use what we have and attach blades to the front of pick up trucks. I know "American" pick-ups are not that popular over there, but surely someone has thought about attaching a snow removal blade to a Rover truck or Defender 110.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
A landscape gardener called into a phone-in show to say that as he had no work in this weather, he'd offered his equipment to the local authorities to help plough snow or grit roads. He claimed (and I believe it) that they turned him down flat, saying they didn't have the budget.

Farmers and owners of 4x4's up and down the land have said the same thing. Tractors, JCBs, Land Rovers etc - all could have been put on standby ahead of the expected freeze, and any issues with purchase orders etc resolved beforehand. But that would require planning, skill and ability at the local council - so clearly both impractical and impossible.

Oh - let's not forget that the last time we were inconvenienced in this way was about 11 months ago: plenty of time to forget all the lessons learned earlier in 2010.

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
A landscape gardener called into a phone-in show to say that as he had no work in this weather, he'd offered his equipment to the local authorities to help plough snow or grit roads. He claimed (and I believe it) that they turned him down flat, saying they didn't have the budget. /QUOTE]

Oh man, I'm with you on the budget comment. As you all probably saw, winter hit hard in the States early this year as well. Some states and cities got too much snow too early and opted not to deploy their equipment as normal b/c the snow season had just started. Without a doubt, the economic crisis is affecting all of us in ways that many probably never thought. But one would have to believe that paying folks like you mentioned would be cheaper than paying the municipal folks AND it gets people back out in the shops.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
What it would require is some money - and whilst the great British public is all for spending money it generally prefers it to be someone elses - and thus we see election after election where everyone offers to cut taxes, which offer is gratefully, if shortsightedly, received.

And anyway - right now, we have no public money available.