Bryce Lawrence, what is it

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am doing some self analysis of my management and looking at other referees.

Watching the s15 game and Bryce is refereeing. Whilst his technical performance is ok, what is it about his management that is annoying me?

He always seems flustered.
Does he allow to much discussion that becomes questioning/back chat.
Whistle tone - But he is a SH ref.
Body language always looks annoyed/frustrated.

This is not a dig, but I am looking at perception of a referee, not just decision making.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
perception is one of the most important things we live/die by. I always get the same frustrated feeling watching him. wonder what the players feel?

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I agree with his whistle tone, there seems to be very little differential between scrum, penalty etc. All seems to be very similar, unless there is something lost in translation to the TV that is.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
It's a fair question.

Credit where it is due though, I think he is having an excellent game tonight in very trying conditions.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a fair question.

Credit where it is due though, I think he is having an excellent game tonight in very trying conditions.

Oh I agree he is a good referee, well technically, but I can't put my finger on why my instant reaction is he is going to be poor.

When I look at myself I need to know the inns and outs of what players think of me, to improve my perceived performance.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with his whistle tone, there seems to be very little differential between scrum, penalty etc. All seems to be very similar, unless there is something lost in translation to the TV that is.

Whistle tone is something we have discussed here before.

It appears to be something that is considered more important in the NH than in the SH. Certainly it wasn't something that was ever taught or coached in my time. The only thing we did that differed from a normal blow of the whistle for a PK or scrum infringement in my day was long or multiple blasts to signal "no-side", and three short peeps to signal time off or to call in a Zambuck.

To comment on the OP's questions, I too find him frustrating to watch.

He strikes me as a man who doesn't find the task of refereeing coming naturally to him, unlike guys like Mark Lawrence or Alain Rolland. The expression "not comfortable in his own skin" comes to mind whenever I watch him.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The expression "not comfortable in his own skin" comes to mind whenever I watch him.
I think that is the point. Whether this impression is accurate is another thing entirely, but it does fit my own perception of Bryce. Physically, he appears to be a short, stocky guy, and perhaps this contributes to the impression - his short neck makes it seem as if he's defensively hunkering down. But it seems to be an impression he makes on people - he's done extremely well to get where he is given the way he can be perceived.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've met Bryce and he is a really nice guy - the kind that remembers your name a week later. Its all about bone structure ...

index.jpegimages2.jpegimages3.jpegimages4.jpegimages.jpeg

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I've met Bryce and he is a really nice guy - the kind that remembers your name a week later.

I've met Bryce a lot too and I endorse this completely. He is always very available and ready to help with young refs learning their trade.

I think he just had a bad year last year and feels the pressure a bit. He also cops it from all angles even when he has a good game.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ditto here too. Met him and really nice bloke ( unusual for a kiwi....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: settle Ian I am kidding) . I agree with all sentiments in this thread but I've found watching him that when he tries to manage the breakdown from 20 metres infield that he misses the clear and obvious and his game soon goes to hell and it snow balls from there.

In terms of the whistle tone - I think that's a kiwi thing only to have a monotone not a SH thing. We spend quite a bit of effort in developing that and coaches will often comment and teach us how to develop varying tones.