Calf injury

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I picked up a calf strain towards the end of a match about three weeks ago. Managed to get through to the end but it was a struggle. Rested it for a week and it seemed fine so took my scheduled match a week later. Managed the first half ok but pulled up after ten minutes in the second half. Fortunately there was a replacement ref around.

I've now rested it for a couple of weeks and it seems fine again. My physio has given me some new stretches to do to minimise a future occurrence. However I'm concerned that I might have to hobble off again if i come back too fast. I have an appointment this Saturday that i am really keen to do - it's a tasty local derby and a real test for my hopefully developing skills. Any suggestions as to how I might 'test out' the leg to give me some confidence that it won't all go wrong again?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You might try a decent 5 mile run.

if thats Ok try some shuttle runs, then take a view

Davet

Post Likes
Grass would be good.

warmup & stretches first, warm down.

Shuttle runs will put more strain on the calf - start easy and build up.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd be looking to add more variety of movement to test it out.

Try the Ref's Run:
Start in one corner.. Stride to the half way line.. Then go sideways to the centre spot. Then sprint to the 22.. Jog to the touch line.. Sprint to the goal line. Then jog right along the goal line, stride to the halfway (diagonally across the pitch). Then walk to the 10m, sideways to the centre of the 10 line. Sprint to the 22, stride to the goal line. Sprint to the touch line. Then walk back to your starting position.
[also mix up the sideways bit so you're doing left and right and I'd probably add some backward jogging at some point].

Rest 2-3 mins between reps.

Repeat for 20 mins, have a 10min active rest then repeat.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hard luck Colesy - a too common problem for us refs!

Would personally recommend that you try warming up those muscles/tendons with a few minutes of vigorous massage on both calf muscles before you do any exercise. Then the Davet steady run on grass and if no twinges the stretching exercises your physio gave you. The run should be in a pair of flexible trainers and try to keep on the balls of your feet (the 'barefoot' style which places less strain on the Achilles) rather than on the flat of the foot. Then by all means try some shuttles and a bit of a sprint or two if no problems.

No reason why you shouldn't do this session every day.

On the day of the match don't forget the warm up massage and a gentle trot around the field in your trainers 30 mins before the match. Then you can put your (stiffer than trainers) boots on and do a bit more trotting around. And keep the legs warm!

Enjoy the game!

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do some decent stretches and then head off for a couple of miles around the park That should be about 4 miles so we'll see how it goes.

And keep the legs warm!

Mmm - if I'm not careful that could start off a whole new thread!

Last edited:

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
The original question was about testing the calf to see if it would survive a match.

Stretching and running 4 miles won't do this ..... it will just test if the calf is up to stretching and a 4 mile run.

If you want a high level of confidence, to me you have to mimic a match by varying speed, direction, acceleration, intensity and duration.

And do it in boots!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
ITry the Ref's Run:
Start in one corner.. Stride to the half way line.. Then go sideways to the centre spot. Then sprint to the 22.. Jog to the touch line.. Sprint to the goal line. Then jog right along the goal line, stride to the halfway (diagonally across the pitch). Then walk to the 10m, sideways to the centre of the 10 line. Sprint to the 22, stride to the goal line. Sprint to the touch line. Then walk back to your starting position.
[also mix up the sideways bit so you're doing left and right and I'd probably add some backward jogging at some point].

:confused: :confused: :confused: Have you got a map? :shrug:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well you have your choice AlanT - but if you prefer the testing to destruction technique do remember to warm up before you stretch - you may last out just a little longer :)

Davet

Post Likes
Colesy - PS - if when doing the run or the shuttles it starts to feel tight then stop, walk, stretch and gentle jog for bit - if it stays tight then stop, warm down, and rest it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
First game back since 3rd March after being laid low with recurrent calf injury.

Came through ok but Achilles a bit stiff. Done some Dr Stu rubbing with the lacrosse ball.

Good cup game 31-17 with plenty of fast open rugby.

Bit rusty and secondary signals went to pot a bit when I had to issue YCs. I think I forget when I have the chat/card/admin bit to do.

4 or 5 colleagues from YRS watching who were reasonably complementary.

Glad to be back and looking forward to L8 game plus assessor on 21st.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Well, I've done the stretches and the runs and feel good enough to go. Thanks for all the advice.

Local derby tomorrow. Top of the table clash - teams equal on points. Winners likely to go up. Losers likely to stay where they are. No pressure :biggrin:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have a good warm up before the game and you can forget your leg and concentrate on the game. Have a good one!!

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Use this stuff. Get the 99.98% solution. It is pricier in the UK versus here. You'll love it. Just rub it into your calf 2-3 times a day for a week or two and you will be better. It smells a bit bad and you will taste garlic after applying it. It is magic in a bottle.

https://www.phhealth.co.uk/products-page/dmso/

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What does:

•Free-radical scavenger

mean?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Barker

:eek:fftopic:

You do know that John Wayne (or should we call him Marion?) wasn't an American, don't you?