Cancellations

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Out of my last four weeks, I've had three last minute cancellations. :mad: One was because the premiere local club was behind on referee dues. A beautiful spring day and I watched the game with friends as a player called the game. Then a college playoff was cancelled the day before. This weekend were the two games I was looking forward to as the highlight of the season. Pulled off today and now I got nothing. :sad:

I as a consolation, next week is good match. :) It just tough to get psyched up for these matches to have them all cancelled. :(

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I sympathise. It happens less in England as you climb the ladder a bit, but an entry level referee is reffing the lowest level at which the game is played, and there are far too many call-offs for comfort.

To a degree, they are to be expected as clubs that can just about scrape an additional team together put that team into play in the hope of attracting more players (and in the knowledge that they'll lose the ones they've got if they can't field a side). But this means that injuries make the games precarious, and sometimes they just can't put a meaningful side out.

We have the same issue with women's rugby, and that is dealt with by an official acceptance that 12 or 10 per side is better than no game, so uncontested scrums and short-sided games are permitted without sanction. Personally, I feel that the lower reaches of English men's rugby should adopt the same approach, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that enlightened administrators already do this. I know OB administers a lower-tier merit table; I'd imagine the thought has at least crossed his mind, and has probably been executed for years.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I know OB administers a lower-tier merit table; I'd imagine the thought has at least crossed his mind, and has probably been executed for years.

We allow a game to start with uncontested scrums, and as few as 10 players per side. We do not allow a team to start with an advantage of more than one player (on the pitch - others can be subs). They are encouraged to loan players to the opposition if they are short.

Unfortunately some clubs would still rather cry off and lose points. :sad:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i remember travelling to play at Rochford with 7 players once, in the knowledge that they would even up the numbers. we ended up playing 15 a side, once they'd dragged a few people out of the bar and sent someone into town to buy them some boots.

the way it should be.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've played with 12 v 15 and won!

I was "loaned" to a 2nd team to play our 2nds ( I was in our 4ths which got called off) and got hammered 60-0, didn't buy a drink all night - I always volunteered to play for "short" visitors after that. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Eventually I got in the first team where that sort of stuff was frowned upon - boooo!.:sad: :sad:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Towards the end of my career I was regularly loaned to the opposition. I think they reckoned it improved our team.