[Line out] Can't score (what) from free kick?

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Have my 2018 law book with me and it says nothing about not being able to score from a free kick. You still can't do that right? I'm sure it's meant to prevent being able to kick for 3 from the fk.
Today awarded a fk 15m in for blue lineout infringement, green 10 quick taps, zig and zags through defenders for 60M and scores between post? (Though possible I'd read/heard there had to be a phase or at least a pass...but that for a drop goal maybe?)
Try or then what scrum to blue @ fk mark? If so Do the have option to take line out, or scrum? Since Originally for line infringement.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Have my 2018 law book with me and it says nothing about not being able to score from a free kick. You still can't do that right? I'm sure it's meant to prevent being able to kick for 3 from the fk.
Today awarded a fk 15m in for blue lineout infringement, green 10 quick taps, zig and zags through defenders for 60M and scores between post? (Though possible I'd read/heard there had to be a phase or at least a pass...but that for a drop goal maybe?)
Try or then what scrum to blue @ fk mark? If so Do the have option to take line out, or scrum? Since Originally for line infringement.

Only applies to drop goals

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Used to be 21.6(f). Now 8.29.

Slight wording change: now includes "any such kick is deemed to be unsuccessful and play continues" i.e. ball remains in open play or if goes dead, then 22m DO. A strict interpretation would not allow the scrum back option, as it is still deemed to be a kick at goal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Try !

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]29. The team awarded a free-kick (including where they opt for a scrum or lineout instead) cannot score a dropped goal until the ball next becomes dead or until an opponent has played the ball, has touched it or has tackled the ball-carrier. Any such kick is deemed to be unsuccessful and play continues. [/LAWS]

Remember, too, it is not just the FK that can't be a drop goal. Other things need to happen after the FK before a drop goal is an option.

Last edited: