[Law] Carded in tournament play....?

Donk93953

Post Likes
University level play in southern USA.

What is the general consensus on players being carded in tournament play?

Yellow card...they can or cannot play in next game?

Red card...out of next game or out of tournament?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As a general rule of thumb:

YC = Time served (as per a normal match)

RC = No further part in the Tournament and Tournament Organisers informed.

It is normal for the referees to meet with the Tournament organisers before the start to agree that these are the expectations of the Match Officials.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Individual Tournament rules apply. As above, organisers should tell you.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Individual Tournament rules apply. As above, organisers should tell you.

As a general rule of thumb:

YC = Time served (as per a normal match)

RC = No further part in the Tournament and Tournament Organisers informed.

It is normal for the referees to meet with the Tournament organisers before the start to agree that these are the expectations of the Match Officials.

Both these answers are generally correct.
if it is a friendly, defer to organizers.

If this leads to a National Championship, then USA R (and W) protocols apply.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agreed. Best refer to the TO as they will be responsible for the protocols AFTER cards are issued. Ref deals with the Laws of the game. TO deals with the "Rules & Regs".

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'd suggest if it's not set out already by the TO. I'd automatically go for misses next match on a straight RC. 2 YCs the 10 mins sin bin and remainder of the match. Fine to go on the next match. High level (potential) disciplinary miss the rest of comp.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Every tournament I have ever reffed in a RC means you are out of the tournament (quite rightly IMO)

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Ah but this is not so in the RWC. They'll have a disciplinary committee and they'll decide if any further sanctions are required. For lower level tournaments, this may not be possible and unless it's laid out in the comp regs there's nothing that would prohibit a RC'd player participating in future matches.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am thinking about on the day.
RC in morning. You can't play in the afternoon

Of course if the next round is in six weeks you may well have served a ban and be back again

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd suggest if it's not set out already by the TO. I'd automatically go for misses next match on a straight RC. 2 YCs the 10 mins sin bin and remainder of the match. Fine to go on the next match. High level (potential) disciplinary miss the rest of comp.

Referees are referees NOT disciplinary committees. It is not in our remit to ban players. Unless the tournament rules says so.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ah but this is not so in the RWC. They'll have a disciplinary committee and they'll decide if any further sanctions are required. For lower level tournaments, this may not be possible and unless it's laid out in the comp regs there's nothing that would prohibit a RC'd player participating in future matches.

Which is why you refer the questin to the Tournament organisers.

TOs run the event.

Referees referee individual games.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tournament rules that affect what happens on the pitch during a game (as opposed to regulations around game progression, league points etc) should be agreed between the TO and the Referees.

I have been to tournaments where the TO's said no yellow cards, or a yellow carded player can be replaced to maintain number on the pitch.
Through the senior ref we refused to officiate to these regulations as they hamstring the ref and give him no way to control the game through escalation of sanctions.

So it is important to TO's and Refs to agree "certain tournament regulations" that affect how the game is refereed.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would refuse to referee any game where cards were "banned". So I either referee the rules and regs as they apply or I walk away. Of course, the TO would be wise to run their thoughts infront of the referees.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Which is why you refer the questin to the Tournament organisers.

TOs run the event.

Referees referee individual games.

This is what I was meaning to RC a player the RC applies to that match (unless stipulated in the Comp regs). Some other refs here have advised that they feel the RC'd player should miss the rest of the comp. Thus taking on the role a disciplinary committee as well as refs.

I would expect that a RC would no prohibit the player from the rest of the comp (unless otherwise stipulated by the TO). As any subsequent ban would need to committee to decide, would it not?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A RC would normally mean you are out until the discipline panel sit, when a sanction would be decided on.
Since this can't happen at a normal one or two day tournament they are usually out for the rest of the tournament.
World Cup is obviously an exception where they rush through the disciplinary before the next game.

If you only RC a player for one game in a tournament there are some players that would happily get sent off every match if they can play in the next. Since they cant be judged they are out of the tournament and their RC disciplinary is held after the tournament and affects their club games.

I would expect that a RC would no prohibit the player from the rest of the comp (unless otherwise stipulated by the TO). As any subsequent ban would need to committee to decide, would it not?

You are usually banned until your case can be heard.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This is what I was meaning to RC a player the RC applies to that match (unless stipulated in the Comp regs). Some other refs here have advised that they feel the RC'd player should miss the rest of the comp. Thus taking on the role a disciplinary committee as well as refs.

I would expect Tournament regs to ban a player guilty of a Red card offence for the duration if it were a One day / weekend event. But If that was not stipulated I would ask before what the policy was so I was aware. I would then report in the red card after the game and The TO takes it from there. A said earlier I'd not referee if no cards or carded player is subbed was the protocol.

A RC would normally mean you are out until the discipline panel sit, when a sanction would be decided on.

You are usually banned until your case can be heard.

In Wales we do not ban until the hearing so this would not apply.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If the club does ban the player, is that taken into account by the disciplinary committee in setting the length of a ban?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

On London if you are RC on Saturday the hearing is Monday week, so you automatically miss one game. That is then taken into account for your sentence

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In Gloucestershire hearings are usually fortnightly, so you may miss two games.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I hold the hearing the Wednesday after the match.

I have had one or two players get the card over turned.