Castle Cary 7s Somerset

JDET

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I guys I have been approched by the organisers to find a couple more refs for this weekend. Details on the below link or contact me and I will send you the organisers details. Cheers

http://www.castlecaryrfc.co.uk/kay_flyer.pdf

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
bouncey castle, too! Who could resist :bday:

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will be there - it's the club's first attempt at a 7s tourno and the "panic" phone call I received earlier in the week reaffirmed my suspision that, bless 'em, they hadn't really considered just how many referees are needed at these type of events.

Given it's just down the road from my gaff - and the weather's going to be "scorchio" - HAPPY DAYS!

Plus I also knew the lady who the 7s is in memory of. Here's to you Kay :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
they hadn't really considered just how many referees are needed at these type of events.

A common fault of first time organisers, and also those who should know better after many years, is to underetimate how many referees they need on the day, and to have reserves as someone always drops out at the last moment.

Rule of thumb is that a reasonably fit referee will do 5/6 matches of average standard sevens. The fit "15 on bleep test" refs can manage 8 or more matches.

Some also forget, or leave it very late, to ask the Society for referees and don't realise just how many other tournies / festivals / matches are happening on the same day.

Finally the better organisers often lay on

a) reserved referees' car parking close to clubhouse
b) pre-written match cards
c) dedicated referee changing / showering / tent with shade
d) physio on call at the ground
e) chilled water, water, water & water (especially if 'scorchio')
f) nosebag
g) post tourny momento - medal, six pack of local brew (HSB or Badgers), commerative tankard, etc
h) special officials stash
i) either a referee manager, or in advance ask Society for one
j) match balls - I have had to beg borrow steal and use my own out of my car boot before now
k) pitch marshalls to get teams there, hold onto match balls, etc

These well organised events tend to be top of the list for refs requests the next season.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Simon, what is a nosebag? I only know that word to describe something white and powdery from Columbia. That is quite an incentive for the referee and I would think you could get an extra few games out of that.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Nosebag - once upon a time a bag filled with oats etc., and hung over a horse's head letting him feed while away from stables.

I can only suspect that Simon wants his oats....:D

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon, what is a nosebag? I only know that word to describe something white and powdery from Columbia. That is quite an incentive for the referee and I would think you could get an extra few games out of that.

We have a very different cultural heritage ! White power indeed, I didn't know talcum powder came from Columbia ?

Nosebag = food. As Dave T explains re feeding horses, and it is still used.

When competing at eventing / showjumping or after being out chasing bushy tailed vermin, we use nosebags with nuts and pasture mix to feed the spoilt beasts.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I suspect he means soccer fans...:D