[6N] Caterpillars getting out of hand?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have no real problem with the caterpillar at the back of a ruck. There is a law to get the SH to hurry up (although I'd prefer the use it was 3 seconds not 5).

But I'm getting very frustrated with referees not calling the ball out for players in the caterpillar not bound. They join by leaning on the rear most player with an outstretched hand or a forearm, yet the ball is never called out of the ruck even through they are not bound.

For me make the caterpillar as long as you want, but everyone must be bound properly or I'm calling it out. Why can't professional referees do this?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have no real problem with the caterpillar at the back of a ruck. There is a law to get the SH to hurry up (although I'd prefer the use it was 3 seconds not 5).

But I'm getting very frustrated with referees not calling the ball out for players in the caterpillar not bound. They join by leaning on the rear most player with an outstretched hand or a forearm, yet the ball is never called out of the ruck even through they are not bound.

For me make the caterpillar as long as you want, but everyone must be bound properly or I'm calling it out. Why can't professional referees do this?
They are now doing it and the WR have released a missive this last couple of weeks for refs to call ‘use it’ as soon as the ball is available and not wait for a ‘caterpillar’ to be formed. It is already being applied at the level I observe and should be at all levels - assuming the message has been passed on.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The 'use it' call early is fine, but why allow people to extend the caterpillar without binding? For me the ball is out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would tweak the Law to say that once use it has been called no additional players can join the ruck, and it means without delay , rather than 5s

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would tweak the Law to say that once use it has been called no additional players can join the ruck, and it means without delay , rather than 5s

To be clear, you mean no players from either side?

My issue at elite level is that the attacking side is allowed to be off their feet at the front of the ruck, thus preventing a legitimate counterruck once the call is made.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
To be clear, you mean no players from either side?

My issue at elite level is that the attacking side is allowed to be off their feet at the front of the ruck, thus preventing a legitimate counterruck once the call is made.

Yes it would have to apply to both sides I think

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'd suggest a 2 pronged attack on this. A call of "Use it" coupled with preventing the 9 coming to get it... eg it needs to be rolled back by the players (on their feet) from the front to the back. If the 9 comes up to get it- he's not bound, he's offside.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd suggest a 2 pronged attack on this. A call of "Use it" coupled with preventing the 9 coming to get it... eg it needs to be rolled back by the players (on their feet) from the front to the back. If the 9 comes up to get it- he's not bound, he's offside.

That might slow it all up, I want to get the ball moving

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
@CR - Not too sure how calling "use it" would slow it down. It may take a while for players to adjust. But then they'll stop this daft practice as the ball won't be gone within 5 seconds and they'll lose possession.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
@CR - Not too sure how calling "use it" would slow it down. It may take a while for players to adjust. But then they'll stop this daft practice as the ball won't be gone within 5 seconds and they'll lose possession.

what would slow it down would be
preventing the 9 coming to get it... eg it needs to be rolled back by the players (on their feet) from the front to the back