charge down in-goal

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
this week-end, I came across the following situation :
- scrum whites, 7/8m out from their goal line.
- SH whites passes the ball to FH, who is (just) in-goal
- FH kicks (in-goal) and is charged down by 7 yellow
- ball bounces back into in-goal whites
- ball grounded by 12 whites

For me, it's scrum yellow, 5m out. the whites brought the ball into their in-goal and were incapable to getting it out. The charge down is irrelevant.
Had the FH kicked the ball being out of his in-goal, I would have given a 22 drop out.
everybody was flapping around, so I've got a slight doubt.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
22, Yellow put ball ingoal prior to 12 whte TD

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I the ball doesn't leave in-goal, I agree: scrum yellow (but you said ball bounces back into ingoal) so:

If the ball leaves in-goal and comes back in because of the charge down: 22 drop

22.7:
(a) When an attacking player sends or carries the ball into the opponents’ in-goal and it becomes dead there, either because a defender grounded it or because it went into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead ball line, a drop-out is awarded.
(e) If a defending team has put the ball into their own in-goal and a defending player kicks the ball so that is charged down in in-goal and then made dead, the attacking side is awarded a 5-metre scrum in line with where the ball is made dead and they throw in the ball.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I assume the ball was passed into in-goal, kicked out of in-goal and ricocheted back in, before being made dead.

If that is correct, it's a 22m Drop Out as the ball was put in-goal by the attackers and made dead.

If the ball was charged down while still in-goal it would be an attacking 5m scrum, as the ball was put in goal by the defenders and made dead.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
In other words if the clearing kick made it back past the goal-line before it was charged down and went back into in-goal then its a 22, if not it's a 5m scrum.

Who put the ball in goal is the question.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Despiite the title, This was actually a charge down not in the in goal

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
I haven't got that sequence on video, but I was pretty sure that the ball was charged down in-goal. Thus my decision for a scrum yellow. The next time i'll really peel my eyes and make sure if the ball still in goal or not.
On this sequence, the yellows scored a try.....