charging free kick

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
21.8: [LAWS](e) Charging the free kick. Once they have retired the necessary distance, players of the opposing team may charge and try to prevent the kick being taken. They may charge the free kick as soon as the kicker starts to approach to kick. [/LAWS]

Question from 7s:

Kick-off goes dead in goal and referee awards FK on halfway. Non-offending team run the ball as hard as they can back to halfway for a quickish FK. At what point can their opponents charge the FK?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
1. They have to retire behind their 10m line - 10m away from where the FK is awarded.

2. Then its a good question which is not strictly addressed in Law. Equitably, when the prospective kicker has persuaded you, the referee, that he is lined up to kick, probably 5-4m back from the halfway line, even if he does not break his forward progress at all. Until then he is only getting the ball back towards the point of award. At the same time I probably would not advance the FK by 10m if the opponents had a different interpretation on the first occasion - merely managing the situation such that a 'normal' FK was taken. Thereafter both teams should have learnt how I wouldreferee it.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
21.8: [LAWS](e) Charging the free kick. Once they have retired the necessary distance, players of the opposing team may charge and try to prevent the kick being taken. They may charge the free kick as soon as the kicker starts to approach to kick. [/LAWS]

Question from 7s:

Kick-off goes dead in goal and referee awards FK on halfway. Non-offending team run the ball as hard as they can back to halfway for a quickish FK. At what point can their opponents charge the FK?

At the point you know that the quick run to get the ball back to half way turns into the action to take the kick. Usually the kicker will pause/slow and actually check that he has his team mates ready in support (and behind him).
Use your judgment. Allow some latitude to the defenders.
Manage it if the attackers are taking the piss and trying to feign the defenders into offending.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When the kicking team get to 5m from the 50 ask 'em if they want the scrum.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Question from 7s:

It's a great question - and I wonder why Dickie chose the scenario with the ball farthest away from the centre line? Was it because then the KO team is deep in enemy territory and thus less likely to get back in time? Regardless, let's remember that other scenarios also result in FK at the centre, and when the KO fails to go 10m everyone is in fairly close proximity.

There seems to be two parts to this question:

a) can a player 10m back charge the FK even if some of his team mates are ahead of the 10m line? and
b) when does a player, running to get to the mark, "approach to kick"?

Taking the first one, the non-offending team is looking to get an advantage from a quick FK. Generally, if the oppo fail to get behind the line we'll treat that new offence as immaterial - indeed, it is part of the non-offending team's advantage, as the offenders have fewer defenders in play. If the (perfectly legal) charge impacts adversely on the kicker or his options, then the advantage of the quick kick has been negated and we simply retake the kick.

To the second point, in my head (though without any authority at all), I consider "approaching to kick" really means "Addressing the Ball". So approaching the mark from where the kick is to be taken is not necessarily "approaching to kick". There can be very few players in the world (if any) who can drop-kick a ball from a sprint. So the moment the kicker slows down to get the stride pattern and everything else right to kick - that moment for me is when he starts to "approach to kick". I believe there must be a difference between sprinting to the line and approaching to kick - otherwise, in Dickie's scenario the moment a possible kicker moves toward the centre line, an oppo who was previously behind the 10m line can simply walk up to the centre line and get in the kicker's face.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
- otherwise, in Dickie's scenario the moment a possible kicker moves toward the centre line, an oppo who was previously behind the 10m line can simply walk up to the centre line and get in the kicker's face.

It would be worse than that. The oppo player could run towards the possible kicker and meet him near the 22.

And I chose this example because 1. I saw it happen in Wellington (the dead ball bit, not the charge) and 2. it is the most extreme case so highlights the point.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]and try to prevent the kick being taken[/LAWS]

... and I wonder exactly what "prevent the kick" means. Tackle the kicker?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]and try to prevent the kick being taken[/LAWS]

... and I wonder exactly what "prevent the kick" means. Tackle the kicker?

Standing right in front of the kicker waving your arms about usually.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did see a age group game once where a player taking a FK was totally unaware of the right of the oppo to charge.

moving with no urgency at all he began his approach to kick, and an opponent charged. He then stopped and didn't kick, presumably expecting the referee to tell his opponent to get back to the 10m line, as though it was a PK.
So the charger ran right up to the kicker but now he wasn't certain what he was allowed to do ? Could he tackle the kicker ?

so both players just stopped, face to face

... and so the referee blew the whistle :)

(Technically speaking what would be the correct restart? a scrum I guess, for 'other stoppage' Of course in practice of course the referee simply did a little on-field coaching/explanation, got everyone 10m back again, and they had the FK)

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Dixie

a) Yes they can - provided the ones in front are retiring. 21.8(b) and (c).
b) I thought that was the point of the original question - I think menace had it about right.

Edit - Confused Dixie and Dickie

Last edited: