Chiefs v Brumbies

Old Pig

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
1687210579706.png

Surely Black seven has come in from the side? Full video is here. Due to the white support players clearing to the side, its appears a bit unclear on weather its a ruck or a tackle. But either way, 14.8c or 15.5 both cover side entry. Let me know what you think?

So either it's still a tackle as the others have been driven to the right of the ball by white, in which case:

14: Tackle 8. Other players must: c. Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.

Or its a ruck, in which case:

15: Ruck 5. An arriving player must be on their feet and join from behind their offside line

15: Ruck 11. Once a ruck has formed, no player may handle the ball unless they were able to get their hands on the ball before the ruck formed and stay on their feet.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Link to video clip isn’t working for me.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Impossible to say from that photo if he comes in from the side... need to watch where his feet are when he engages. Did he go directly for the ball or clear out the supporting defender over the tackled player?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If that is the ball we can seetucked under the arm of the player on the ground wearing the orange skull-cap, then IMO, black seven would have to go well out of his way to come in at the side. All he has to do from his position is step forward, bend over and grab the ball!

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the video because the link just gives me a 404 error!