[In-goal] Choice?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There are several occasions where we offer the non-offending team a choice. Most recently when a side commits multiple infringements.

How about this:

Red, close to Blue's goal, chip the ball into goal. Blue defender immediately grounds it. You're just about to whistle for the 22DO when you see your AR signalling that a Red player was off-sides at the kick.

Do you . . .

a. Ignore the off-sides and award the 22DO.

b. Ignore the 22DO and award the PK?

c. Offer the choice to Blue?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Personally, I would give them the choice.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You can only give the choice if you are playing multiple advantages.

Doesn't apply in this case so you go back for the penalty (which should be more advantageous than a 22DO anyway).

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There are several occasions where we offer the non-offending team a choice. Most recently when a side commits multiple infringements.

How about this:

Red, close to Blue's goal, chip the ball into goal. Blue defender immediately grounds it. You're just about to whistle for the 22DO when you see your AR signalling that a Red player was off-sides at the kick.

Do you . . .

Depends if the offside is material to the outcome of what happened to the ball in-goal.

If it had an impact, we're going for the penalty; if not, it's a 22m and a word with the offside player.

There's no way, in law, to justify offering a choice.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what sim,on said. If the chip happened near the left wing and the offside winger was the right wing - immaterial.

if the chip was on the left wing and it was the lpeft winger bearing down from offisde on the defender - material.

in between those two points you have differing materialites...

didds

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
How about this
It wasn't material because they didn't score the try?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I won't have an AR signalling offside so 22DO for me :)

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree with the materiality factor.

I was thinking that this choice is akin to the knock-on into touch, just a bit more complex.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Agree with the materiality factor.

I was thinking that this choice is akin to the knock-on into touch, just a bit more complex.

No it isn't, the knock on into touch is specifically referenced in law, as is the choice for multiple advantages. The one you have described isn't.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
TBH, I think arguing about materiality is missing the point - of course we're not going to penalise if it's not material.

To focus on the point: I'd be unlikely to offer the choice, simply because I'd expect the penalty (most of the time) to be more advantageous, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with offering the choice and if a player asked (assuming it was done quickly) for the DO I'd let them have it.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Interesting one. You generally only award a penalty for offside if it is material. Assuming that the offside is material in this case. Where would you give the penalty if 1) - The materiality occurred before the try line. 2) - The materiality occurred in-goal.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not sure that I've seen a PK offence waved off by a referee because of materiality.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If you were playing scrum advantage to the defenders for an attacking offence 10m out and the attackers had put the ball into goal where it was grounded by the defenders would it make a difference?

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Depends if the offside is material to the outcome of what happened to the ball in-goal.
It's an AR - don't they flag only material infringements?
Put another way, I wouldn't be expecting an AR to flag something immaterial.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting one. You generally only award a penalty for offside if it is material. Assuming that the offside is material in this case. Where would you give the penalty if 1) - The materiality occurred before the try line. 2) - The materiality occurred in-goal.

there is another option: scrum where the kicker was.

If the offside was material, the PK is where the chaser was when the kick happened. If that is in goal, the kick is 5 metres out.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How about this
It wasn't material because they didn't score the try?

Not necessarily. The if the defending team were under pressure, i.e. not able to play the ball as they wish, because of the offside player, that is material.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

How about this:

Do you . . .

the OP is a good question but I think there are some red herrings (ARs, materiality) muddying the water. Can I change the question thus:

Red, close to Blue's goal, chip the ball into in-goal. Ref observes Red chaser in front of the kicker and calls "advantage". Red kicker has over-cooked the kick and ball goes over DBL.

Do you . . .

For me, I would award the penalty with no 22 option. But what would I do if the captain asked me if they could take 22DO instead?

Last edited:

Balones

Post Likes
I won't have an AR signalling offside so 22DO for me :)

If you don’t see the offside then it has to be the 22DO.

What you do with ARs depends on whether the team of three have comms or not. At society level when ARs are required it is not unusual for there not to be any comms.

Last edited:

Balones

Post Likes
[If the offside was material, the PK is where the chaser was when the kick happened. If that is in goal, the kick is 5 metres out.[/QUOTE]

Is that standard practice in your part of the world Dickie? I am under the impression that here we tend to mark it at the place it becomes material and not just where the player was when the ball was kicked.
I am not saying you are wrong but merely that we may have a difference in interpretation here.

Last edited:

Balones

Post Likes
[If the offside was material, the PK is where the chaser was when the kick happened. If that is in goal, the kick is 5 metres out.

Is that standard practice in your part of the world Dickie? I am under the impression that here we tend to mark it at the place it becomes material and not just where the player was when the ball was kicked.
I am not saying you are wrong but merely that we may have a difference in interpretation here.[/QUOTE]

Of course it may well be the same place most of the time, but not always. Retiring players etc.