Chris "Tibbs" Tibble's Match Reports

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
what level was that match, Tibbs? And did Worthing match that level or did they play up ?

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Portsmouth Ladies vs. Reading Ladies

Portsmouth Ladies (5) vs. Reading Ladies (21)

My first time refereeing a ladies’ game, and a different set of challenges. Keeping up with play wasn’t an issue, but the style of play was different and the level of ‘professional’ play was at a level I didn’t expect.

Reading came into the match wanting to win, and it showed. P had got a draw at R earlier in the season and R were out for revenge.

It was really backs vs. forwards. R had better backs and just about managed to get parity in the forwards. That way P were never going to win. They couldn’t get dominance up front where they should have had it, and had no answer when R put it out wide.

One nasty incident, there was a tackle and a pop, and one of the ladies was out with a broken ankle. Nothing malicious, just a bad landing.

Discipline was interesting. There were a couple of hot heads on each side, but these were managed quite well internally, and I only had to have a word with the captains once.

The captains were much quieter than I was used to, and the sidelines were not too bad apart from a potty mouthed woman with poor taste in sunglasses and the chap who volunteered to run the line who thought that gave him the right to ‘point out’ transgressions to me. I usually cover off roles and responsibilities to TJs before the game, when I’m ‘smiley approachable’ Chris, but I didn’t so he got the ‘I’m refereeing don’t f*ck with me’ Chris. Apart from that, it wasn’t too bad!

All in all, considering how much I hurt before the game from the match on Sunday I did ok. I really ache today!

Given the opportunity I’ll definitely referee ladies again. The level of management skill needed is higher than I am used to, but the pace is about the same, so I have time to think about what’s going on and hopefully get the decisions right. This game definitely taught me I need to switch sides on the rucks and mauls more often…

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
what level was that match, Tibbs? And did Worthing match that level or did they play up ?

It's about level 11/12. Chi 4 is their vets team, and Worthing 5 is officially their 'turn up and we'll get you on' team, though they have had a much more stable player base this year.

They both play in Sussex 3 West, so are about the same in terms of levels. Worthing is by far the larger club (London 1 v. London SE3 for Chi) so have more teams.

Chris