Chris "Tibbs" Tibble's Match Reports

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crawley u16 20 vs. Midhurst u16 13

This was the first game of the season for me, after a summer plagued with injuries. The game took place on the C first team pitch, so no worries about the energy sapping 2nd & 3rd team clay pitches. The grass was also very long, which proved to be a factor later on.

It was a good clean game, for the most part. It wasn’t as close as the score suggested, C had the run of the game virtually the whole time, and it was two individual plays which got the tries for M. M scored one from their excellent scrum half absolutely on the line, and their second came right at the death when the M player was held up, but because of the long grass (4-6 inches tall in most places) meant that he still managed to get the ball down.

Scrummaging was good, a couple of resets for early engagement (both sides), a couple of free kicks for feeding and foot up (C) and an LH who didn’t like to bind (also C). Packs were quite even, and no real messing about, which was good. The ball handling was very good today, so there were very few scrums.

Rucks and mauls were also pretty good, the mauling especially was very well fought, though I had to penalise a Crawley prop for blatantly sealing the ball off as the first player in. The Crawley manager said he doesn’t coach that at all, so I guess he’s been watching too much GP. No boots on bodies that I saw, though I did have to clarify to one captain at the briefings that giving a player on the ground “a good shoeing” (his words) was not an option…

Back play was inventive, though the M IC was a bit too satisfied with his own skill, did a fancy move, and then stood there admiring himself while his poor OC and Wing got slaughtered! M had a lot of this – one player runners who then got isolated and turned over. C attacked much more as a team, and this approach really paid off. It was only some good last ditch tackling by M saved it from being a bigger scoreline.

One yellow card in the match. The C prop who had already had a warning about his binding (or lack thereof) in the scrum, blatantly came in from the side in a maul deliberately hitting a retreating M player in the back and binding him back into the maul. He did this at speed, and I felt it was dangerous, so he had to take 10 mins.

My game

Very poor. Even though both coaches said I had a good game, I was off colour, and could feel it from the off. I was just rusty, my positioning was poor, my communication was non existent, and only the good behaviour of the players stopped this from being a total farce. Way too fat & unfit and luckily I don’t have a game next weekend, as I need 2 weeks at least down the gym to be ready for my next game. One to learn from, get some more motivation to get my butt down the gym!

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds like a fair call on the yellow. Dangerous can be very contextual, and as the ref, there and then, you know better than any of us. But if he was causing problems already, and then did something as stupid as that, then 10 minutes for him might help things a bit.

Regarding your game - don't worry. I had the same in my first match this season (unfit, out of practice etc. etc.) having been injured for the start of the season. But, in the next match I was very happy, had a good game and it's kicked on from there (in my one other game anyway!). So, don't think to much about that, you'll be suprised what a difference just having that first game of the season out of the way can make.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
St Francis 1st XV (16) vs Haywards Heath 4th XV (25) - Sussex II

My first senior game this season, and my second ever at Sussex II level.

My first time at this particular ground, and though I left my customary 1/2 hour early when venturing to pastures new, I still managed to get impressively lost and arrived with only 30 mins to go till kick off.

Both teams looked suitably muscular and up for the encounter. I hadn't refereed either team before, so I was really looking forward to it, though with some trepidation that my fitness levels wouldn't keep up with my brain. It turned out to be the other way around.

If I were to describe the match in one word (and I'm sure many wish that I would!) it would be... rusty. It was like being back in the middle of last season. I was in a position to see what I needed to see, but I really had to think about what I was seeing, and by that time it was too late to do anything about it. I also wasn't doing things automatically that I should have. I allowed 5 HH penalties in the red zone without a card, when I should have yellow carded after 3. Players were lying over the ball, and too often I blew for the scrum when I really should have penalised.

Back to the Game.

St. Francis started well, and scored twice within the first few minutes. Things evened up, and HH eventually started to get the upper hand, putting the game out of reach with about 15 minutes to go.

Some good running rugby from both sides, and some excellent forward play from HH gave them the upper hand. HH actually had a flanker playing 10, which gave them a big advantage when defending, and his aggression snaffled a lot of ball away from SF.

SF's 10 also liked to drift out, which gave the HH loose forwards space to run down the middle. SF had some excellent backs, particularly the 13 and 15, who made some good ground.

All in all a good, clean game, and though HH were happy with my performance, SF, probably understandably, were less impressed.

I had been having problems with the scrum wheeling before put in on the SF put in, so I pinged the HH loosehead for boring. HH weren't happy about it, and the LH said it wasn't him, but it didn't happen again, so hey, problem solved...!

All in all, and encouraging start to my senior season after a summer plagued with injury. Looking forward to the next encounter...

Chris

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Chichester u16 (19) vs. Midhurst u16 (0)

A friendly this one, and a bit of local rivalry added some spice to a good game.

Both teams started very brightly, with some fast and skillful play. M had an outstanding 9, 12 and 14 and C had a very good back row, especially at 7 & 8 as well as an outstanding 11 & 15. Everything was played at a tremendous pace, with a lot of skill and despite the apalling conditions, not too many handling errors.

Most of the game was spent in the middle of the park, with lots of good rucking and mauling, though I did have to penalise both sides for pulling down good driving mauls.

One incident to spoil the day. 6 minutes from the end 10m into C's half about 10m in from the touchline, C player made a tackle and found himself on the wrong side. He was in the process of getting away when the M forwards came over the top of him. I had included in my captain's briefings that I wanted no boots on bodies at all, and that I would penalise when I saw it. C player got trodden on, so I blew up.

There was a bit of handbags, and it was settling down when the C #8 came steaming in from who knows where and throws a huge haymaker at M #9, who was playing peacemaker. He misses and winds up clotheslining him nicely across the throat and taking him to ground were he proceeds to try and pummel the poor chap. I'm stood about 2m away not quite believing what I'm seeing.

Things calm down and I get everybody separated. Since the 8 blindsided the 9, and came from quite a distance away, the red card reluctantly comes out. Turns out he usually plays for the county, who were playing today, but he had a bad shoulder and wanted an 'easy' game. Oh well, he can sort his shoulder out while he has his suspension.

This was the sort of game I used to love playing in - hard, fast but fair. Shame it was spoiled a bit by one thoughtless act.

Chris

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
This is great to read Tibbs, keep them coming in, good to see you getting less rusty as the season is moving on too.

mbkingsmill

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Its great to read the reports from matches of clubs i used to play against. Hope you get to referee "The Sussex All Blacks" in the near future it would be good to get an outsiders opinion on my old club.

Matt

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
mbkingsmill said:
Its great to read the reports from matches of clubs i used to play against. Hope you get to referee "The Sussex All Blacks" in the near future it would be good to get an outsiders opinion on my old club.

Matt

I did their 2s against Shoreham in my first ever game. They turned up with 14, no front row and raging hangovers from their annual dinner the night before. Needless to say they got beaten...

I wanted to cry and go home at half time. It's amazing how you forget the laws the first time you have a different coloured shirt to everybody else and a whistle in your hand...

Chris

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tibbs,

Reading your reports brought to mind easily the best game I have done this season so far. It was an under 16 match. Played at a furious pace with both sides showing excellent skills. For a friendly match it was hugely competitive. Chelmsford vs Reading Abbey and the attitude of the players, coaches and supporters made it a fantastic refereeing experience. Sadly one of the Chelmsford lads dislocated an elbow but he is well on the mend now.

Paddy

mbkingsmill

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ah the legendary Burgess Hill Dinner Dance. You were lucky to get 14 players in a safe state to play. I have recollections of still being at the venue propping up the bar at lunch time the next day at the last dinner I went to there.

My experience of the All Blacks were that they were pretty friendly to referees unless it was one of their own in which case they tended to give as much "Legal" stick to the ref as possible.

BTW was Bob Shed playing in the team you ref'd? - older player must be pushing 55-60 now, but one of the old stalwarts of the team.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is he a prop by any chance? I had an older prop who was the only trained front rower to tirn up on the day.

mbkingsmill

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
yep Bob does tend to play front row but is one of those players who will play any position if required.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not sure that it was Bob - this chap could only be a prop! I saw him running the bar when we had our Society Ref's meeting at BH back end of last season.

Chris

mbkingsmill

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That still could have been Bob but it also sounds like a number of others as well. There are a list of profiles and mug shots on www.bhrfc.co.uk.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
No it wasn't him though there was some who looked like a likely suspect - I've got a crap memory so I couldn't tell you which one though...! :D

Chris

mbkingsmill

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
fair enough, so long as the looked after you well in the bar afterwards.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
My first Assessment

Thought I'd include my first Assessment, which happened 25/3/06. This was at my first Sussex II game, so I was quite pleased with it!

Re-reading it the other day made me realise I was now a L11 ref...

Chris

Attachments

• Coach Form 2005-2006[1].doc
    105.5 KB · Views: 19

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Looks like a solid assessment there Chris, you've got a lot of the essentials down already, including the safety areas. Some of the areas for improvement there are easy fixes and will really help you, other areas will likely take a little more time.

Watching a kicked ball in flight is human nature. The key thing is to remember that it buys you plenty of time to check everything else around you. A quick glance up at the ball so you know how high it is and approximate landing point, and then you can take care of the kicker and get yourself in position for the landing.

Lots of these learning points are ones that I went through myself not so long ago.....

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was quite happy with it, especially since I thought I had a shocker! :p

I'm impressed with the fact that he was so tactful in telling me I was a fat biffa, and I needed to lose some lard! :D

Chris

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Lewes 3s vs. Eastbourne 3s (Sussex 3 East)

Lewes 5 (5) Eastbourne 17 (10)

A good honest game of social rugby. Both teams turned up to play rugby, and did so with determination and commitment. With the depth of the mud it was always going to be a forwards game, and in this Eastbourne were dominant. It was only Lewes’ dogged determination that stopped this from being a much bigger scoreline.

Only one yellow card, and that was for an L player over-enthusiastically coming over the top of a ruck about 2m out from his own goal line, so he had to take 10 minutes. Aside from a couple of high tackles, everybody was very well behaved.

One of the best games I’ve refereed for quite a while!

Chris

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Worthing 5 vs Chichester 4

Worthing 5 (32) v Chichester 4 (0)

One team turned up this afternoon and one didn't and I'm sure you can tell which is which...

It was quite even in the first half and most of the game was played between the 22s. Worthing concluded the first half in front, and it was a 10 minute period at the start of the second half that saw them put the game out of reach.

Nothing really of note, except I restarted after a try with a penalty after Chichester thought they had held a try up. Those that were complaining were not on the same side as me, and I very clearly saw the ball touch down. Chi wouldn't let it go, so I penalised them and restarted with a penalty. A stern word to the captain did the trick and they were quiet(ish) for the rest of the game.

Worthing 5s are a total revelation this year, hungry for wins, disciplined and with a couple of young players they have that cutting edge they were missing last year. A real pleasure to referee as well.

Chris