Chris White

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
So, after watching last week's Newcastle at Quins match, I was taken aback by Austin Healey's comments of Chris White. I know he retired from the IRB panel after last season, but I didn't see where he was "unfit" or "out of shape." I know these guys, just like most of us here, have to take a fittness level and meet certain levels. If not, they're knocked down.

Given his tenure, I would assume that Chris (and others of similar tenure) is probably given more leeway than say Barnes, but I could be wrong. With all of this said, what say you all...was Healey correct? Or is White "fit" but just missing the extra gear?

FKlopper

Post Likes
I think the funniest part was when Austin complained that Chris was 60m in front of the ball, after it had been kicked 60m, and how could he make a decision from there?

I don't like Austin, he seems to say things like this just to get some attention.

And Chris White can't be that unfit, as he'll have refereed 2 games as well as being an AR in 1 by Saturday afternoon. I don't think Austin would have been willing to play 3 games in a week.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So, after watching last week's Newcastle at Quins match, I was taken aback by Austin Healey's comments of Chris White. I know he retired from the IRB panel after last season, but I didn't see where he was "unfit" or "out of shape." I know these guys, just like most of us here, have to take a fittness level and meet certain levels. If not, they're knocked down.

Given his tenure, I would assume that Chris (and others of similar tenure) is probably given more leeway than say Barnes, but I could be wrong. With all of this said, what say you all...was Healey correct? Or is White "fit" but just missing the extra gear?

Chris has recently celebrated his 47th birthday. I think it is unreasonable to expect a person of that age to have the "extra gear" they had when they were WB's age.

I saw that Falcons v Quins match, and I didn't think Chris was all that far off the pace.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I saw that Falcons v Quins match, and I didn't think Chris was all that far off the pace.
Or to put that another way, he was a bit off the pace - which is not good enough for the elite panel.

I didn't see the game, so can't comment on CW's performance. It'll be no suprise to CW that he's in the twilight of his elite career; what the elite referee performance people have to do is to determine when he is no longer capable of doing the job they need an elite ref to do. I suspect that if there was a young thrusting replacement fit as a butcher's dog and banging hard on the door, Chris would have been managing his decline through the National Leagues, or hanging up his boots. It seems that the assessment by the people most qualified to know is that CW will give the best available all-round performance - and if that is the case, AH can either quit moaning about it or force his retirement in favour of someone not so good.

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
I think the funniest part was when Austin complained that Chris was 60m in front of the ball, after it had been kicked 60m, and how could he make a decision from there?

I don't like Austin, he seems to say things like this just to get some attention.

And Chris White can't be that unfit, as he'll have refereed 2 games as well as being an AR in 1 by Saturday afternoon. I don't think Austin would have been willing to play 3 games in a week.

It seems as much from over here as well. The TV angles don't always give the best shot to see the referee, but I didn't think White was out of position anymore than "the younger, fitter" refs Austin was going on about. Agreed that at 47, the last gear is no longer there, but if he's getting the job done, where's the harm?

And like the others said, this is probably his last ride of the rodeo and what a rodeo he's had.

Forest22

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a Gloucester person I have a lot of respoect for Chris White and I find AH's comments a little rich.

I though he controlled the game well and was in the right place to make the decisions. He kas the nouse to be in the right place rahter than run around lots looking busy and perhaps thats what he didnt like?

:yc:

dickell

Post Likes
On 2 Jan I saw CW ref Wasps v Newcastle. Furthermore, I listened to him on the RefLink radio that Wasps have given to season ticket holders.

CW was close to immaculate. He gave an absolute masterclass in player management, he was up with play, and I counted about three possible errors. His assessor that day was a certain Ed Morrison who knows a thing or two!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dickell, welcome to the forum. It's nice to add your name to the ranks of RRF members who have officiated at a high level.

dickell

Post Likes
Thanks, Dixie. I've been reading your posts for a while but haven't felt the need/confidence to comment previously. I just thought that CW should have further support.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
CW came to our Society meeting the other week.

Top bloke.

Top Ref.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Even in his pomp CW could look a little on the weighty side, big... er.. hips? But he always seemed to be where he should be when he should be, which is the basis of all good reffing.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andyscott - pmsl. Go boil your head!