Cian healys citing to be reheard

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Cian Healy: Leinster prop's citing hearing to take place on Thursday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35201170

Have just read this story - apparently the complaint is that he was disciplined for an offence different to that which he was cited for.....did that not happen Several times in the World Cup? He has already appealed, but this is a re-hearing of the original citing in front of a different JO.

Is this a first? I've not heard of it happening before.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
You can see the incident here : [video]https://streamable.com/l0rk[/video]

He was originally cited for striking Red2
However he has now been banned for 2 weeks for reckless foul play.
His appeal makes a joke of the citing process. Surely the original ban could have been upheld, while simply correcting the offence listed in the title. Not good for the game. :sad:

With a bit of luck the loss of game time will hurt his chances of a Six Nations berth, then he will have ample time to reflect on his stupidity. Two weeks was not sufficient.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cian Healy: Leinster prop's citing hearing to take place on Thursday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35201170

Have just read this story - apparently the complaint is that he was disciplined for an offence different to that which he was cited for.....did that not happen Several times in the World Cup? He has already appealed, but this is a re-hearing of the original citing in front of a different JO.

Is this a first? I've not heard of it happening before.

In the RWC everyone cited for tip tackling was punished under a different offence, dangerous tackling mainly with no explanation of how the tackle, while not a tip-tackle, was neverletheless a RC dangerous tackle.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
You can see the incident here : [video]https://streamable.com/l0rk[/video]

With a bit of luck the loss of game time will hurt his chances of a Six Nations berth, then he will have ample time to reflect on his stupidity. Two weeks was not sufficient.

He's got form for sly digs like that. Don't hold your breath on him reforming his character.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
He's got form for sly digs like that. Don't hold your breath on him reforming his character.

Douche. Sly "accidental" knee to the head.
If a player is cited on a number of occasions does the sanction escalate?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
They take off time for previous good behaviour. Trouble is it seems some players are considered of good characher come what may.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
your point is not really about Ciaran Healy, is it?

I do agree that we have not yet acheived consistency, and I wonder if the RC approach is working.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cian Healy's RC shows that by leading with your head and dropping body position that ball carriers can play for a PK and card in the professional game. CH's hips are at the same level as his right knee so getting much lower while maintaining stability/strength will be very difficult for him.

If this sort of contact is considered dangerous then we need to reconsider how the game is played and how BC's enter the tackle zone. I can't see how we could argue that mitigation only occurs in the short time before contact occurs when the BC is making the decision to enter the tackle as low as possible and leading with their head which almost guarantees their head will hit some part of the tackler - the BC must take some responsibility for their actions leading to the head contact.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
your point is not really about Ciaran Healy, is it?

I do agree that we have not yet acheived consistency, and I wonder if the RC approach is working.
Could have started a new thread on head contact I suppose.
But using this one does actually make it about Cian Healy and the 'good behaviour' fallacy.

If WR are going to get really serious about head contact infringements, then surely feel the citings and hearings process (which in the main only seem to ever come from a YC/RC) needs to have more consistency.
Maybe it is better to not have individual citings for each incident, get a framework of tick boxes with black and whites and you follow that.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
for me the problem has come from the misguided decision to use the RC process to change tackling techniques.
It's all wrong
the RC process was designed over many years to deal with deliberate acts of foul play, and that's why it takes into account previous offences, mitigating factors etc, and (indeed) quite rightly takes a team down to 14 permanently.

I am not at all sure that it's the right framework to deal with poor tackle techniques - which is probably why it hasn't worked yet.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
for me the problem has come from the misguided decision to use the RC process to change tackling techniques.
It's all wrong
the RC process was designed over many years to deal with deliberate acts of foul play, and that's why it takes into account previous offences, mitigating factors etc, and (indeed) quite rightly takes a team down to 14 permanently.

I am not at all sure that it's the right framework to deal with poor tackle techniques - which is probably why it hasn't worked yet.
agreed.