Cleaning v Saracens

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Right then. All you defenders of Mr Clancy, explain why Ashton's no arms 'tackle' wasn't a clear Penalty Try and YC but a 22 drop out????

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Right then. All you defenders of Mr Clancy, explain why Ashton's no arms 'tackle' wasn't a clear Penalty Try and YC but a 22 drop out????

Sounds like he adjudged there wasn't any foul play ??? Post a clip when you can.
BBC website says this......
They should have had a try when Chris Ashton prevented Napolioni Nalaga from scoring in the corner with a last-ditch tackle - the winger failed to use his arms and most observers thought it should have been a penalty try, but the television match official awarded a 22 drop-out to Saracens.

Last edited:

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
So in the scenario above
GC. To tmo " any reason not to award the try"
Can tmo say " actually George, it's a yc to tackler and a PT"?
Or is he gagged by protocol when not asked specifically about foul play?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I quite like Clancy as a Referee, but I can't help feeling whether a PT and a :noyc: would have been given if it wasn't a Semi Final.

? Shoulder to shoulder?
But surely the shoulder to shoulder only applies if the ball is loose and both players are running for the ball.

10.4 (g) is the one we're looking at here, so I reckon Mr Ashton can consider himself lucky.

10.4(g) Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player.
Sanction: Penalty kick

Last edited:

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
I assume that GC thought he had pushed the attacker in accordance with Law 7.1
Any player may tackle, hold or push an opponent holding the ball.

There does not appear to be any definition of "push" in the laws.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

PT + YC
Saw it this afternoon and thought WTF is the TMO smoking and can't George see the big screen?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I assume that GC thought he had pushed the attacker in accordance with Law 7.1 There does not appear to be any definition of "push" in the laws.
Correct, but given that charging and kicking are expressly forbidden, I think it's safe to assume a "push" would only involve the hands.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As a benchmark https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtYc-PPCCE

I'd argue that Liam Williams was closer to acheiving grasping, than Ashton. ! The only thing which isn't clear is the 'steer' GC got from his AR compared to the help that SW got from his ( RP didn't get enough credit for his Assisting IMO)
I'd really like to hear what the TMO and GC say to each other, because the idea they've both missed it is out of this world. The South African PT you posted did come to mind, and quite frankly it was more in doubt (because of his foot possibly going out) than this one.

I just can't fathom how GC and the TMO have seemingly not even acknowledged it... Maybe they're trialling for a gig in the NRL.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'd really like to hear what the TMO and GC say to each other, because the idea they've both missed it is out of this world. The South African PT you posted did come to mind, and quite frankly it was more in doubt (because of his foot possibly going out) than this one.

I just can't fathom how GC and the TMO have seemingly not even acknowledged it... Maybe they're trialling for a gig in the NRL.

Or because the ball was dislodged prior to the shoulder connecting, or that Liams Left hand actually grasped CH shoulder :deadhorse: I agree with your unable to fathom it comment, son we think GC and peers hadn't forensically reviewed the South African Steve Walsh decision as part of elite referee learning ?? I'd be absolutely amazed if they or he hasn't.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Yet another Clancy howler. Spot the AR. those two working together? What were the appointment people thinking?

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Spot the AR. those two working together? What were the appointment people thinking?

Lleyton Hodges and George Clancy ?
Why is that a problem ?

Genuinely don't understand.

Cheers
Mark

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There is a perception amongst those who watch a lot of the Celtic rugby that those two wouldn't be near the top of the list of quality referees.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Leighton Hodges and George Clancy? Individually they are car crashes. Together it's a pile up. A Euro Cup semi final that is potentially explosive. They are not the right combo.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Leighton Hodges and George Clancy? Individually they are car crashes. Together it's a pile up. A Euro Cup semi final that is potentially explosive. They are not the right combo.
Perhaps it was the Euro NCUP semi-final :wink:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Browner, you're lucky you don't have to suffer George and Leighton as often as we do in the "Celtic" countries. In the Pro 12 we have two countries that supply no RWC refs in Scotland and Italy and Wales can only produce one in Nigel and, some how, Ireland produce several (in the people who matter's opinion). It's not very encouraging.