Clearer than other Unions for L+L?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

This seems to me to make L+L a bit clearer and easier to officiate.

It is. Although I think I know it when I see it. That said I think I missed one in my game on Saturday - on review of the video is does seem to tick all (both?) the L&L boxes. 🤔

I thought the player was diving for a score bot he's about a metre or so short when he hits the deck.

What constitutes "Professional Rugby" in SA?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It's certainly clearer than the SRU's - who forgot about it. :LOL:

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Am aware that this is from a news report and so it may not be comprehensive but on initial detection there doesnt appear to be any mention of late and low. So the ball carrier may change their height at any time providing the ‘safe zone’ between the sternum and mid-thigh, is accessible to the tackler.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The last two bullets caught my attention...

• The ball carrier at the ‘pick-and-drive’ may not place a hand on the ground prior to contact to propel themselves forwards into contact (the technique known locally as the ‘cannon-arm’).
  • A player may only bind (latch) onto the ‘pick-and-drive’ ball carrier once they have already made contact with the defender.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The last two bullets caught my attention...
yes it's interesting, on the back of the sternum-height tackling they couldn't resist smuggling in a couple of other unrelated changes - rather like the the RFU smuggled in their new Law on jumping.

WR should have managed this change, so that it was done consistently everywhere, rather than sitting back and leaving it to the various unions.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
yes it's interesting, on the back of the sternum-height tackling they couldn't resist smuggling in a couple of other unrelated changes - rather like the the RFU smuggled in their new Law on jumping.

WR should have managed this change, so that it was done consistently everywhere, rather than sitting back and leaving it to the various unions.
That’s of course supposing you think WR manages change effectively.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Am aware that this is from a news report and so it may not be comprehensive but on initial detection there doesnt appear to be any mention of late and low. So the ball carrier may change their height at any time providing the ‘safe zone’ between the sternum and mid-thigh, is accessible to the tackler.
Just a different, and clearer, way of achieving the same end. Late & low closes off that 'safe zone'.