Clive Norling-Blowing the whistle on depression

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Saw Clive last Tuesday at Society meeting - Looked well.

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting stuff -having suffered a breakdown some years ago and had many years of struggle with depression I'm glad this stuff is coming into the open. It is particularly hard for men to talk about these things so it is quite couragious for admired and well known figures in the sporting world to speak openly. The media continuously bombards us with images of well-being/vitality/skin tight grins etc. that it is hard for many to feel safe talking about this. Particularly hard on young people who end up self harming in a variety of ways. Good on him!

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You must have missed the big "Welcome back Clive" part...... you need to listen more lol..

No I didn't miss it actually boyo! Just saying that he looked well.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I watched ESPN this morning NZ v Eng from RWC 1995. CN was on the commentary team with John Taylor and Steve Smith. It made a change having a rational explanation of Hilditch's decisions (no mean feat in itself) rather than:-

Me me me me me listen to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I know what that penalty's for - S Barnes

This is ridiculous, they need to change the laws on rucks, mauls, lineouts, kicking (delete as applicable) - B Moore

I'm glad he's better (well?)

Last edited:

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He did look well, and hopefully he will take an active role within the WRU referees structure again, I imagine he has some brilliant stories. :)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Best after dinner speaker i've seen! (for a welshy :wink: )

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Mr Norling (who started his reffing career in Hampshire when a student at Portsmouth) has a wide repetoire of stories. I heard him speak once many many years ago at a Twickenham dinner in the 80s and he had us in stitches.

Also my uncle always claims that he can arrive at most clubhouses in the Principality and his pint is waiting for him on the bar by the time he gets there !