Coach in In Goal

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Why does it matter why green put the ball back into their in-goal area? There are many reason why and none are relevant to what happens next. Just stay with the facts.

Except... it does matter in the context of what happens next as to who out it in-goal. If the laws only allow you a choice of decding between a try or a touch down, then the subsequent call IF touchdown is preferred is what the next piece of play will be. which will depend on who put the ball into in-goal.

Even if you ignore the try/touchdown choice and consider including ball over DBL/TiG then you still need to know who put the ball in-goal.

MY point is that the laws and the ruling don't cover this situation - because the ball only hit the coach because he was mistaken for a player. If he wasn;t in goal (beam me up etc) then the pass wouldn;t have been made there in the first place so you can;t just beam-him-up and see what happens... the entire polay is based on the fact he IS there.

I still reckon a try wouldn't be seen as inequitable - but a 5m attacking scrum would receive the same acceptance.

Try might help the coach avoid being there ever again ;-)

didds

Last edited:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
So did I get it right or not?

Share view of others. You got it right. Coaches were not complaining, and doubt if the players were. Also perhaps worth mentioning that Green Coach probably felt a bit stupid but avoided having his own players having a go at him, which with U17 team losing badly is relevant, I think.

Whilst one expects a ref to know the law it is often more important that common sense prevails. It certainly did here.

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
"Share view of others. You got it right. Coaches were not complaining, and doubt if the players were. Also perhaps worth mentioning that Green Coach probably felt a bit stupid but avoided having his own players having a go at him, which with U17 team losing badly is relevant, I think.

Whilst one expects a ref to know the law it is often more important that common sense prevails. It certainly did here."

Totally agree.
Very refreshing common sense. Not enough of it around at times!