Coaches should be getting blamed not referees

djones

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Referees are constantly being told that they don't penalise players for binding in scrums, rolling away at the tackle, hands in the ruck, etc....... the list goes on.

is it just me or would penalise coaches and/or players for persistent offences e.g i know this will cause controversy amongst our varies nationalities but if "Richie McCaw was persistently going off his feet at rucks and the referees in several matches penalised him again and again, if this was viewed to be deliberately cheating and preventing the game from being played properly". The IRB could look at videos of the match and fine/ban/warn the player and/or the coach insisting that the player must improve his rucking technique. this would make refereeing easier because the player would know that each match is not seperate for player repeatingly infringing. this would also stop team offences that are obviously coached by someone.

This would make coaches coach their player to play rugby not cheat.

please not richie mccaw is an example.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If players were consistently penalised for these offences then I woud expect coaches to stop coahcing them.

If refs let them go, then they will continue.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
It is only against the Law in a De-Facto manner if it is enforced. If it is ignored, if there is no punishment, it can be done with impunity.

There are plenty of archaic laws on books around the world that are ignored. Most of them are no longer relevant in today's world but the bother of repealing them isn't worth the effort involved.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Yeah - but even if its strictly legal I don't think you'd get away with filling a Welshman full of arrows on a wet sunday in Chester.

Though that may depend on result on Friday.

Tarwmawr

Referees in England
Post Likes
What a dilemna to respond to! Richie McCaw or Martyn Williams as first choice "7"? As a totally unbiased and "fair-minded" Welshman in exile in England the answer is of course MW!? But, I think that djones has somewhat answered the originating question. On the premise that "There are no laws until the referee "enforces" them, both coaches and players alike will seek to subjugate "The Laws" to the best of their inability and cunning.

I think that it is a talented and informed player that is able to play both the match and the match officials in equal measure.

I assume the original post may have arisen out of a deep frustration from a recent enterprise. We have all been there!

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Coaches should be taught that referees only penalise game affecting offenses!!! also materiality should be drummed into coaches.!!! :rolleyes: