collapsing own maul

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
No maul can exist in in-goal.

Were I a referee, I would penalise a team for dangerous play in in-goal.

Brave !

FWIW, a maul obviously will exist in this scenario, the players don't vanish, its just the laws pertaining to the maul no longer apply once the ball crosses the goal line. Player safety still applies obviously.

I really do think that 'collapsing a maul' needs a definition !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No maul can exist in in-goal.

Were I a referee, I would penalise a team for dangerous play in in-goal.

I think you would normally avoid that - when there is a maul maul-like thing in the in-goal then you don't need to be prescient to know that it's going to collapse --- quickly and heavily .

If this collapse is going to be dangerous, and the ball is in the middle anyway and very unlikely to be visible for a try - then I think you should whistle before it happens and give held up, attacking scrum

It's not generally good to allow prolonged wrestling for a ball in goal.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think you would normally avoid that - when there is a maul maul-like thing in the in-goal then you don't need to be prescient to know that it's going to collapse --- quickly and heavily .

If this collapse is going to be dangerous, and the ball is in the middle anyway and very unlikely to be visible for a try - then I think you should whistle before it happens and give held up, attacking scrum

It's not generally good to allow prolonged wrestling for a ball in goal.

Agreed; hence my #55:

The effect of the bit of white paint is that unless the ball hits the ground toot sweet after reaching the line, there's a sweet toot from the ref to stop any prolonged wrestling match - for safety reasons. So it's not a question of ignoring the danger represented by the collapse of a maul once it's over the goal line; instead, the ref will stop play before any danger does arise.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This has come up before.

When a maul gets driven into goal the defenders have two options: 1. Try to hold the ball up and concede a 5m scrum to the ops or 2. attempt to drive the now non-maul into touch-in-goal or over the dead ball line and get out of jail with a 22 drop-out.

If the non-maul is still in motion give the defense a chance to execute option 2.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
17.2 D" ALL PLAYERS IN A MAUL MUST ENDEAVOUR TO STAY ON THEIR FEET " sanction is PK (bc is excluded if goes to ground provided he makes ball immed. avialbe ) ergo any teammate or oppo. who deliberatly goes to ground with bc (as in op ?) is liable to pk.,whether or not the maul collapses..