Competitive Festivals at u6

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
What do folk think about this

In essence the AGV rule out competition below u7.

How many u6 Festivals have you come across, are they competitive and knock-out, or what?

Do parents get OTT even when Johnny has only just passed his 5th Birthday??

Had an interesting scene around this a while back, will need to get an update on this years outcome.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i didn't think games were allowed at u6 level? unless this is u6s who have reached their 6th birthday and are therefore playing as u7s?

i think it's crazy. my club's u6s run around in circles and play relay races using a ball as the baton, and have a lovely time while doing so. i doubt any of them would know how to score in rugby, or even what a score is called.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The heir to the family fortunes plays in a soccer league organized by the local YMCA. Soccer, basketball, T-ball - all available. (and despite my usual strongly anti organized religion bias, I would like to praise the Y. They do a fantastic job)

The kids run around a lot. They like "scoring". They get rotated in and out and everyone gets to play. They - or, Smith Jr anyway - keep count.
He was VERY proud when his team went undefeated and won the Championship.

The entire set up offers up competition, but in a very positive way. It seems like the @sshole parents and kids all go play American Football.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
i didn't think games were allowed at u6 level? unless this is u6s who have reached their 6th birthday and are therefore playing as u7s?

i think it's crazy. my club's u6s run around in circles and play relay races using a ball as the baton, and have a lovely time while doing so. i doubt any of them would know how to score in rugby, or even what a score is called.

You are sort of correct Dave, but not exactly, and where it isn't crystal, people will push the boundaries, in my view, any inter club MATCHES are illegal for u6, I take a match as something where the result is a matter of serious concern!!

Would just like to know how much people come across this, and what's going on out there.

There was a full on u6 competitive festival scheduled in our neck of the woods last year. At last minute, I managed to get it commuted it into a legal, semi competitive, medals all round, NO CUPS, BOWLS, PLATES etc just fun and everyone is a winner, round robin of games with no end result published. No knock out. I am told it worked very well.

The kids had been playing for a full season

The kids had a great day, and the parents were satisfied.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There was a full on u6 competitive festival scheduled in our neck of the woods last year. At last minute, I managed to get it commuted it into a legal, semi competitive, medals all round, NO CUPS, BOWLS, PLATES etc just fun and everyone is a winner, round robin of games with no end result published. No knock out. I am told it worked very well.

The kids had been playing for a full season

The kids had a great day, and the parents were satisfied.

We run a One Day Sunday Fun Day for all under 7s along those lines.

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes

I have an RFU document from 2010 (and I can't find anything more recent to contradict it) which states:
"It should clearly be noted however that these young children do not form a team and are not considered to be rugby players but are a group of very young children who will be involved in Under 6 “activities”, not specifically rugby type drills or games. This group will NOT be allowed to play any sort of competitive game, under any circumstances but may move into the
U7 age grade on their 6th birthday and be immediately involved in fixtures."

So I would suggest that the U6 competitive festival was against RFU regulations and, as such, the organisers had no insurance. I assume that no permission was sought for this - otherwise it would have been stopped.

It's my understanding that, had there been an accident then the RFU insurers could have denied any liability and the organisers could have been personally sued.

Stay away from U6 games / competition!

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
I have an RFU document from 2010 (and I can't find anything more recent to contradict it) which states:
"It should clearly be noted however that these young children do not form a team and are not considered to be rugby players but are a group of very young children who will be involved in Under 6 “activities”, not specifically rugby type drills or games. This group will NOT be allowed to play any sort of competitive game, under any circumstances but may move into the
U7 age grade on their 6th birthday and be immediately involved in fixtures."

So I would suggest that the U6 competitive festival was against RFU regulations and, as such, the organisers had no insurance. I assume that no permission was sought for this - otherwise it would have been stopped.

It's my understanding that, had there been an accident then the RFU insurers could have denied any liability and the organisers could have been personally sued.

Stay away from U6 games / competition!

agree stay away from u6 competetive games
from a safe guarding angle, you could be in deep if a child got hurt, the same parents that encouraged it would hang you out to dry..
(rfu regulation 15 if my memory serves me correctly)

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Absolutely, no 5 year old should be involved in anything remotely resembling a fixture.

Clubs often have to accept 5 year olds just to get people through the door for the following season and not lose the kid to another sport, but it must be made clear that it is fun and games and multiskills, very short training sessions.

Hells teeth, most 5 year olds don't know which way is forward... let alone left and right and flicking mud, pointing at clouds, having a sit down in a puddle is always more entertaining than rugby.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
let alone left and right and flicking mud, pointing at clouds, having a sit down in a puddle is always more entertaining than rugby.

You've seen my local seniors team, then? :D

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Guys

Well aware of the Regulations and the implications thanks. It is a question of how far the u6 folk push the boundaries, and as we all know, by February a lot of u6s by age are actually officially u7s and therefore can play

The question is/was what have people seen happening around the country, as we all know the regs are not very tightly enforced, or for that matter very well understood or indeed very well published.

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah right...

I've seen a def. trend towards it becoming far too serious at this age, from coaches and parents alike. It usually stems from the coach being too inexperienced to know any better, or not being confident enough to manage parental expectations.

Festivals for U7s are living hell.... there's always some dust-up taking place.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Thanks Guys

Well aware of the Regulations and the implications thanks. It is a question of how far the u6 folk push the boundaries, and as we all know, by February a lot of u6s by age are actually officially u7s and therefore can play

The question is/was what have people seen happening around the country, as we all know the regs are not very tightly enforced, or for that matter very well understood or indeed very well published.

Not in Hampshire for sure regs well understood and we do enforce the regulations

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
you may be in the minority. i was asked to arrange a county U13 festival (such was our prize for winning it the previous year). i advised the CB that i couldn't arrange what they were asking and still comply with the RFU regulations (which i had confirmed directly with the RFU), to be told that regulations are there to be bent.

i refused to do it, and the CB gave the tournament elsewhere. i posted something on here about it at the time.

edit - and here it is

http://rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7159

Last edited:

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
We had a recent example of a CB tightening up a lot.

Surrey Mini Festival now observes the rules WRT Number of games etc. and has done for a couple of years.

This year Quins Cutain Raiser Cup Final on Saturday, clashed with the Surrey Festival on SUnday. Surrey figured this out and told the 11 clubs involved formally that their teams could not play in both, due to the 'one festival per weekend' Rule, and could not retire from the Surrey Festival. There were a variety of reactions!

I think things are tightening up, and certainly favour the prevention of serious competition at u6 level, though I think some friendly games provided that a relaxed atmosphere is maintained is great. However in reality, this should also apply at older ages to a larger extent than it does!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
all I would say is ... FFS.

why not get them playing leagues in nappies then?

didds

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
It probably comes from the fact that at U8 cooperative play is beyond the comprehension of the majority of the participants. The "players" are simply incapable of teamwork. Without teamwork there is no TEAM and so team competitions in this age range is an exercise in futility.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Didds - where did this come from!?

Not aimed at anyone here! (I don't think so anyway).

It was a general frustration at people who can't see past an adult view of the world and think that 5 years old's need competitive fixtures - or even fixtures full stop. It just really hacks me off. Primary Schools - bless them - are amongst the worst culprits IME for breeding a "winning is the only success" criteria amongst sports at least but even they I don't see think that their year 1s should be playing sporting matches against other schools.

It was just a rant.

:)

didds