Conundrum

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I was going to start a new thread but this one seems suitable because of the title.
Last Saturday I was observing a match and the scrums were a nightmare. Cuttig a long story fairly short, it was one of those matches where several of the front row were simply messing about and nothing the ref seemed to do alleviated the problem. (He didn't have active ARs - that would have sorted the problem.) We agreed after the match that he should have simply sent off a couple of props and got another couple on.
Anyway, towards the end of the match (last 15 mins.) one of the props was substituted and for the last six scrums there were absolutely no problems. Except that every scrum on the new prop’s side (he came on as a loose head – the previous one was a T/H.) was illegally bound. The new L/H was much quicker to the ‘bind’ and always had his arm above the T/H. Neither prop objected, both were comfortable and there was much needed stability at the scrum. So the question is, should the referee have had a management word at least and/or penalised or leave things as they were considering what went on before?

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Noone seems to have twigged that if you allow the oppos to push you back at the set then you should get a FK. It seems that at present macho beats brains.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
One of the teams I was observing last Saturday had worked that one out. 6 FKs for early pushing.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Noone seems to have twigged that if you allow the oppos to push you back at the set then you should get a FK. It seems that at present macho beats brains.
[irony]Isn't that a PK against for "failing to take the hit"?[/irony]

nottheorgangrinder

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Had an U10 try to make a hit out of the engagement at the weekend. When I blew for a reset and another explanation of the engagement procedure to the lad, I had a barrage of shouts from the touchline about letting them get on with it and to stop slowing down the game!