Covid law reforms

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Apparently the plan is to ban free kicks being taken as scrums and reduce the time to use it in rucks and mauls.
What does the collective think?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seems like much fiddling for very little help. Removing those scrums results in additional play, which means more rucks and higher numbers of players involved in close contact.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
al comments generally speaking ie not only for covid period games where I accept other motives are important

* scrum resets --> FKs. Not convinced. Obvious way for sides under the cosh a bit to reduce pressure of losing the ball at scrummage. FKs are useless things between the two 22s IMO also.

* brake foot - do they mean in set up (they do anyway?) or throughout the entire scrum? If latter doesnt that require "foot up" to be removed so there can be no confusion?

* no scrum option for PK/FK. nope.

* goal line drop out for held up in goal versus attacking 5m scrum. I like that. That can stay.

* high tackle. Has some merit - but outsiode of CV risks hasnt it been shown otherwise that lower tackles = higher injury/concussion rates anyway?

* choke tackle - how do you present the ball ? the oppo have to let you go? Anyway, not for me. If you contact skills are that shit you don't deserve the ball.

* use it to 3 seconds - yep works for me. It will likely end up as a real 5 seconds anyway!

* UIOLI scrum to FK - nope. FKs are useless outside the 2 x 22s.

* can't join maul if not there at the start - que? how is that going to work? mauls can only ever consist of 2 x attackers (ie one ball carrier and a team mate) and one oppo? I cant comment as to furure accptance as i dont understand what it means.

* one forward movement at maul - yup. works for me.

didds

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
A quickly taken FK can be very effective, producing a phase of open play with 16 players still stuck together!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
* choke tackle - how do you present the ball ? the oppo have to let you go? Anyway, not for me. If you contact skills are that shit you don't deserve the ball.

Opponents would let go just the same as if the BC got their knee to ground making it a tackle.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the science in a big way, but I don't think any of this is going to make any difference. If nobody is infected, it won't matter how long a scum is or how many people are in a ruck. The virus isn't going to germinate in a maul. If a player is infected, it won't matter either. If an infected person does make it on the field, that person will tackle, ruck maul and whatever else and as soon as they breath on someone, it won't matter how you stop that maul or how quickly you get the ball out of ruck.
Maybe I've got my head up my third point of contact on these laws. Feel free to let me know if you think so.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying we should go back to rugby and damn the consequences. Far from it. I just don't think these laws are going to have any impact on the chance of spreading the virus.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Umm, how long a scrum is. :redface:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Email from WRU received this morning:

" [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Hi all

You may be aware that there has been a lot written lately in the media about a change in the laws when the game returns. Please ignore all these comments. Last week World Rugby proposed 10 law changes to try to reduce contact between players. Each country were actioned to discuss the proposals and the implications. These changes were unanimously dismissed by the rugby playing Nations. As a result World Rugby came back with the suggestion that they could be adopted by individual Governing Bodies if they wanted to.

When we return to playing in Wales it will be under the same laws which you are all familiar with. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding because I am sure you have all been asked about the new laws following the comments on social media. We can discuss this further during our forthcoming meetings.Have a good weekend"