Crashed into the referee

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
From today's Under 16 game. Yellow attacking in the Red 22. Ball goes on a scissors to the Yellow no 12 (A big lad). I see him coming and try and get out of the way, he crashes in and bumps off me. I don't go to ground, but it is like an old fashioned body check. I am pretty sure this has made a difference so blow up for a scrum to yellow by which point the yellow 12 has dotted the ball down for a try.

I bring them back and explain. Yellow 12 to his credit accepts it with good grace. I have had a glancing blow before now, PLAY ON! But guess this was the right thing to do?

Guess I am relying on : 6 A 10 - The ball touching the referee

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Analyse why you were in the way, where else could (or should you have been) to see the unfolding action.

Was this in loose play or for a set piece scrum or line out ?

Did you block any potential tacklers ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, good call.

Sometimes it's like crossing the road in Ho Chi Minh City. Just stand still and let the player go around you.

This gets tricky law-wise if the player doesn't run into you but you block a tackler. Law 6 A 10 doesn't make provision for this event

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Did you block any potential tacklers ?
.. This gets tricky law-wise if the player doesn't run into you but you block a tackler. Law 6 A 10 doesn't make provision for this event
Exactly. Was it material?

Did the ball carrier gain an advantage? If "Yes" - fair enough, scrum it is. If "No" then that changes things surely? See my point Taffy?

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Analyse why you were in the way, where else could (or should you have been) to see the unfolding action.

Was this in loose play or for a set piece scrum or line out ?

Did you block any potential tacklers ?

Could have been in a better position certainly

Loose play

Probably did block a tackler which made me make the call to come back for the scrum

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly. Was it material?

did the ball carrier gain an advantage? If "Yes" - fair enough, scrum it is. If "No" then that changes things surely? See my point Taffy?

I think it was so close to the line (that would be the goal line)........that I was just generally "In the way". As always, a split second call!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In which case correct call, but work out how to get out of the way for the next time or you will have little credibility with the players.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I think it was so close to the line (that would be the goal line)........that I was just generally "In the way". As always, a split second call!
I think it's something you just get better at. Trust me, nobody was worse than me - I'm not exaggerating but getting in the way 2 or 3 times a game was pretty common. An assessor reckoned I was still thinking like a player.

Then it virtually overnight .... it stopped. Strange.

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
I find this happens almost every time I switch between the 7s and 15s season and the first top-level game of each which I referee! However much I have pre-planned, the angles and running lines (both for the players and the ref) are so different, and the timing is all so different that I find it difficult to adjust immediately. I remember last season's North America and Caribbean Sevens and seeing Carlin Isles on the switch coming directly at me and knowing there was absolutely no way I could get out the way in time. As suggested, I just stood stock still and he went round me (no surprises), but then because I wasn't already moving I didn't quite make it to the 22 for his try. Cue abuse.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
View attachment 3119

And here was me thinking it was a car park accident a player had been involved in :biggrin:

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a similiar experience some years ago. It was a league match between teams of whom I knew many players from both sides. An attacking scrum in the twenty-two, and I had positioned meself near the defending outhalf (I know, but I was young and green at the time). As the nine took possession of the ball, I read the play as a switch between the centers which meant that the BC would be heading close to where I was standing!

So the play progessed and I simply stood stock still, pretty much to attention, hoping that all the players would avoid me. The BC ran within inches of me to score having taken possession of the ball a good twenty yards from me. The defending skipper, however, was quite voluable in that I had prevented his outhalf from making the tackle - even though the BC ran between us.

Sometimes, the referee will simply be in the way and I believe that the burden is on the players to avoid him - he has to stand somewhere.....

NM

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
In my first couple of games back after injury I found myself getting in the way a little bit with only one collision.

If I get a "move sir" from behind me if I'm in/around the defensive line I tend to just stay where I am. If it's accompanied by easing me one way or t'other I'll move. Not a frequent occurence.

I would struggle to convey how I "manage" to not get in the way (not being able to keep up with play helps a lot I find). I used to get in between 9 and 10 a lot when I first started.

Last edited: