YC is fine

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's late. I would argue more than 'marginally'

YC is fine

let's say, for the sake of discussion, that it isn't late. Or, using your imagination, imagine that the ball is still in hands of Green 10 when tackle occurs. I'm more interested in the tackle itself than a debate about lateness.

So, is it a dangerous tackle?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Green 10 contributed to his own injury by being sideways on to the tackler. His own studs fixed his foot in position. Tackler hit him on the thigh. Not a dangerous tackle at all, just one that had an injury as an outcome. Not dangerous even if thit knee. Just one of those rugby incidents.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Marginally late and a PK or play on would have been understandable. Having stopped play (and hearing the noise I think that was the right decision) and watched the replay, though, a penalty was the most likely outcome. But never a YC.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was late. He took two steps after the ball had gone and before the hit. That we are told is late.

The injury was just bad luck, his studs caught in the ground as he was hit which caused his knee to bend the wrong way. Nothing wrong with the tackle technique itself. Commentators as usual talking a croc of sh1t.

PK only for me.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
let's say, for the sake of discussion, that it isn't late. Or, using your imagination, imagine that the ball is still in hands of Green 10 when tackle occurs. I'm more interested in the tackle itself than a debate about lateness.

So, is it a dangerous tackle?
For my money, no.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Leaving out the possibility of late........technically perfect tackle nothing dangerous (from a Refereeing perspective) whatsoever. Had tackler been late/lazy wrapping and/or grasping then different story.

Chop tackle 100% legal.

Last edited:

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
IMO he was late so yellow for late tackle, nothing wrong with the actual tackle, not dangerous

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
It was late. He took two steps after the ball had gone and before the hit. That we are told is late.

Told by whom?

I think it is late, but before this incident have heard that #8 committed to tackle unable to pull out for similar tackles.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Told by whom?

I think it is late, but before this incident have heard that #8 committed to tackle unable to pull out for similar tackles.

A guideline I was given by a senior ref which I thought more helpful than X steps or whatever: Did you [the ref] know he was about to kick/pass? Then the tackler did, too, and it was late.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Told by whom?

A rule of thumb we were given that Premiership Referees use. Once the ball has gone, two steps by the tackler is late and he could have pulled out, one step is committed and he can't.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
A rule of thumb we were given that Premiership Referees use. Once the ball has gone, two steps by the tackler is late and he could have pulled out, one step is committed and he can't.

So outside of ERU land, despite being somewhat reasonable, this rule of thumb has no basis.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So outside of ERU land, despite being somewhat reasonable, this rule of thumb has no basis.

No, it is based on practice used by the most senior referees in another country to yourself, rather like us viewing your GMG.

How do you decide what is late?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Im guessing the basis the the RFU employed is that the "two step rule " allows a resonable time for the tackle to take place. It possibly has no "official" WR backing. However, I don't see that as invalidating it.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
No, it is based on practice used by the most senior referees in another country to yourself, rather like us viewing your GMG.

How do you decide what is late?

TBH, i do not know our GMG on his matter

In OHIO we use, "1 Cincinnati, 2 Cincinnati", unless of course we are reffing a Cincinnati team. then we use "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi" so not to show favoritism.

There has never been a Cincinnati v Mississippi game since we have instituted this policy

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Im guessing the basis the the RFU employed is that the "two step rule " allows a resonable time for the tackle to take place. It possibly has no "official" WR backing. However, I don't see that as invalidating it.

Advice was given to Dickie E in Oz. "We" was used in advice, I found "we" ambiguous.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Seemed to be in RFU land not OZ.