Dangerous Tackles - USA v Italy (aka Here comes the BOOM!)

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I admit that I left after 40 minutes. I live close to the stadium, so I walked home. The 1st half was dour. I may have also been "rugbied-out" from the Oz v Wales game, but in any case:

Here's a good video illustrating WHY it's so important to wrap opponents in a tackle.

Kudos to Jerome for getting it right in terms of stopping the game (though I've seen yellows given for worse!). Todd Clever's frustration with his own players rubs off on the referee at the end ("only a red"?) but thankfully the referee pays no attention.

There is simply no excuse for this stuff. Unfortunately, once again Emerick shows FA remorse. He has been in front of a JO at least twice before since 2007. He is not getting the message. For whatever he adds (and off the field I like the guy a lot as he genuinely cares about players, coaches, and is very respectful of referees high and lo) I just dont understand how this is acceptable.

Last edited:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
There is simply no excuse for this stuff. Unfortunately, once again Emerick shows FA remorse. He has been in front of a JO at least twice before since 2007. He is not getting the message. For whatever he adds (and off the field I like the guy a lot as he genuinely cares about players, coaches, and is very respectful of referees high and lo) I just dont understand how this is acceptable.

After getting to work with Emerick for a week, he was amazing to work with. I was expecting a loose flying rugby player, but he's one of the most genuine people I'm ever met. To bad to see, but in the end it was deserved. I think the next question is can the USA afford to have him on the team with his history, he's a good player, but his history isn't worth it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Both reds very harsh in my view. Yellows would have been appropriate.

Question: the chap who copped the first red had a lot of padding around both bicep areas. What is that for? Scrummaging aid?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I agree. The offences are bad, but to me they screamed for yellow rather than red.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Jerome Garces has lost the plot here. No way the the world are either of these RC offences.

I can think of games I have seen that would have ended up five-a-side if this had been the standard for late tackles.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
I can get on board with the first being a red, it is really late - but the second simply isn't that bad. Two yellows would have been my call.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The first one looks like he's committed, there is time to pull out though and the hit is late, I would have YC'd.

Second one, he certainly leads with his shoulder, it's certainly dangerous. RC possibly harsh, but certainly YC.

The thing that gets me though is both are clearly dangerous and easily avoidable if a team wants to play fair, so whilst in some peoples eyes the card colour may be harsh, the motto is still, play fair and you won't risk the referee making what you may feel is a harsh decision.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
First one late and no wrap. Can understand the RC, although it is strange at that level.

Second one - don't understand the RC.

HOWEVER we only see 2 pieces of the action. Any other similar actions, met with PK, YCs etc. i.e. has it been escaletd that late and no wrap is now a RC? If so - no problem with either of them. If a team isn't learning, then happy to keep pulling the RC out. Of course, if there was no escallation, and they are isolated incidents, then they seem "strange" to be RCs.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
After getting to work with Emerick for a week, he was amazing to work with. I was expecting a loose flying rugby player, but he's one of the most genuine people I'm ever met. To bad to see, but in the end it was deserved. I think the next question is can the USA afford to have him on the team with his history, he's a good player, but his history isn't worth it.

you call doing his laundry "working with"?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting point; If a player is commited to a tackle, should this still absolve him of any late tackle penalty? In the same way that a tip tackle is penalised regardless of intent, is there the same strict liability applied to late tackles?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting point; If a player is commited to a tackle, should this still absolve him of any late tackle penalty? In the same way that a tip tackle is penalised regardless of intent, is there the same strict liability applied to late tackles?

Of course not! He should fully expect Scotty to "beam him up" before impact!! :sarc:

Seriously, what is a player who is committed to a tackle supposed to do when the ball carrier unloads the ball a few milliseconds before impact? Disappear into thin air?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
First one late and no wrap. Can understand the RC, although it is strange at that level.

Second one - don't understand the RC.

Agree. Though the first seems more than just no arms - late and deadset shoulder charge to the ribs area with intent to cause damage. Doesn't scream RC but can also see easy to start at red and not find mitigating factors to make it yc.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Of course not! He should fully expect Scotty to "beam him up" before impact!! :sarc:

Seriously, what is a player who is committed to a tackle supposed to do when the ball carrier unloads the ball a few milliseconds before impact? Disappear into thin air?

Quite.

And more - if the tackler tries to pull out he is liable to end with a non-tackle contact, - no arms - barge - that is more dangerous than the original would be.

Buck1969

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I was at the match. My initial reaction on the Suniula hit was that the RC was perhaps harsh, but understand how Garces got there, seeing as the hit was quite late. I also thought the Italian had been knocked out, as he lay unmoving for quite some time while play was stopped. He ultimately got back up and played the remainder of the match as if nothing had happened. Draw your own conclusions there. Emerick's seemed more like a yellow to me.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
msf msf

Last edited: