[In-goal] Danny Care Try

Thisone

Post Likes
https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1355902460309725184?s=20

Interesting one here.

What do you think the correct outcome should be?

Try
PK (and therefore PT) for tackler not releasing
PK to defence for ball carrier not releasing
Scrum 5 held up

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Link not working for me.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can a tackle occur in-goal? According to the definitions tackles occur in the field of play. If there is no tackle, there is no need to release.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can a tackle occur in-goal? According to the definitions tackles occur in the field of play. If there is no tackle, there is no need to release.

i agree. They are in goal, so no need to release. the quesiton is how long you let them wrestle bfore calling 'held up'

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At no point was he properly held up in any way, and he got the ball down, so try. Close mind

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I certainly would have blown up earlier and awarded 'held up '..... partly because I feel he was held up but also to avoid a pile of arriving players getting involved.

Would I have been wrong? Possibly!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For me they never stopped moving, he was nearly held but just managed to place it down as the momentum was ceasing

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]14.1 A tackle can take place anywhere in the field of play. [/LAWS]
"Field of play" should obviously be "playing area" (see Definitions). We have all seen tackles take place in in-goal - how else to stop a player running round behind the posts every time?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[LAWS]14.1 A tackle can take place anywhere in the field of play. [/LAWS]
"Field of play" should obviously be "playing area" (see Definitions). We have all seen tackles take place in in-goal - how else to stop a player running round behind the posts every time?

You mean we have all seen 'things' that look like tackles take place ingoal....but they are technically not tackles!
Similar to maul like 'things'...they are not mauls.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You mean we have all seen 'things' that look like tackles take place ingoal....but they are technically not tackles!

Quite, a tackler and the tackled player have responsibilities after a tackle, here they don’t, no roll, no release, no offside lines

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I can't see the link.

If he touched it down, it's a try - you can't give a PT for preventing a try with foul play if the try is scored. If he didn't touch down, it's held up. There are no obligations on either player to release in in-goal.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can't see the link.

If he touched it down, it's a try - you can't give a PT for preventing a try with foul play if the try is scored.
Actually you can....
If the try would have been scored in a more advantageous position.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
True :D But from the context that there was a wrestle on the ground to touch down...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
True :D But from the context that there was a wrestle on the ground to touch down...

In this incidence obviously doesn't apply...
I was simply clarifying what I understood to be an inaccurate statement.

Edited....spelling

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

The Law sir is an ASS!

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I certainly would have blown up earlier and awarded 'held up '..... partly because I feel he was held up but also to avoid a pile of arriving players getting involved.

Would I have been wrong? Possibly!

Me too !
I have received feedback before , warning me about a grounding needs to be "immediate" and I should not allow a wrestling match.
In this example, I would have expected the ball down ASAP.
So , here, I would have blown a bit sooner and explained "No immediate grounding. Held-up..." sort of thing.
The defender needs to get some credit for getting there and turning the ball carrier and wrapping his arms so he couldn't score immediately.
Great defending !