Debate about the breakdown

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Doesn't 15.6(e) cover it?

15.6(e) Any player who gains possession of the ball at the tackle must play the ball immediately by moving away or passing or kicking the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick

The intention is clear.
Glad of that. So just to make sure we've all got it ... any jackler who gets his mitts on the ball before a ruck occurs, but who fails to move away from the breakdown before an opponent engages him and there by forms a ruck, is to be penalised under 15.6(e)? Naturally he can't avoid this PK simply by giving back the possession - that's just an opportunity for the oppo to gain an advantage, which they might not do.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Taff - I think what Dixie is saying is that 15.6(e) is tackle law as stated in my previous post.

If the jackler gets his mitts on the ball and can't play it back then the cause is likely to be the BC who went to ground, set the ball and is now a barrier to prevent the defenders gaining access. So who's contravening law in that scenario?

Rassie

Post Likes
Where did this assumption that 'Quick Ball' is the only required ball, come from? RL again? /Tv/spectacle/entertainment!

You can legitimately have a host of players engaged in a pushing contest over the top of a ball on the ground to gain possession of it. Some might say the game would be better if more players were tied up/engaged in such a contest, it might create more space elsewhere to run through ..... reducing 14 defenders in a line facing you would be a good thing-no? All without hands on ball of course.
I have a simple solution. Bring back controlled rucking.

If they do that then I want to see anyone try to slow up the ball or holds on to the ball.
And I want to see what back line player would dare enter a ruck.
Big reason why the midfield is so clogged up.
I can tell you quick ball is almost non exsistant and defenses have ages to realign. That is why your of the ball obstruction skills will count in the end of the day how many holes you created for your players to run into.