Dedicated AR's?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One of the hardest jobs an assessor has is to tell a mature ref that he is making mistakes through not reading the game correctly and that perhaps a game at a lower level would be more suited. Writing that report is equally difficult. I am not sure that we get the training to handle it - easy to forget that this is, for most, a voluntary sport activity which we do for fun!

Mike - watch this space on report writing and de-brief techniques for just these issues. As you say telling someone they are no longer up to it is tough, hard enough in business, but to a dedicated volunteer in sport even more difficult.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
They do this in football and it works very well- Howard Webb has had the same assistants for about five years now.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
They do this in football and it works very well- Howard Webb has had the same assistants for about five years now.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. He does have a couple he works with regularly for internationals I believe, but certainly works with different people in the Premier League most weeks.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes

Cannot help but feel that the relative effectiveness of the FA and RU systems is based on somewhat subjective observations, often influenced by manager comments and the media reporting of same!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure that's not true. He does have a couple he works with regularly for internationals I believe, but certainly works with different people in the Premier League most weeks.

Howard Webb certainly didn't have the same assistants when he did Sheffield Varsity this year!