[Law] Defender lifting ball carrier in open play

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Quick question - is there any law prohibiting a defender lifting and holding a ball carrier up with their feet off the ground to stop them going to ground? In effect to stopping contact becoming a tackle and forcing a mail?

I had this situation on Sat, with defender bear hugging the BC and taking his feet off the ground for about 3 seconds. I didn't see any danger and he put him down carefully but it made me wonder if there was anything sanctionable in him doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

Please excuse the typo on what is clearly meant to say maul!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't believe it's illegal in itself but the outcome could be!
At any level, but especially in underage, I would prefer to manage it to prevent it becoming dangerous.

Edit. Remember if the ball carrier is being lifted and carried backwards and you blow it up for safety reasons the scrum will go to the team going forward not the team in possession.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Quite legal. Defender can carry the BC to touch to get the lineout throw or turn the BC towards the defenders team to get a ball strip.

If the BC can get a knee to the ground then it's a tackle and the defender must release him.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Legal, but as noted the consequences can be illegal so be wary of this. On most occasions you caplet it play (either becomes a maul, usually unplayable, or they get a knee down and we have a tackle) but I have seen player lifted into potentially dangerous situations and have blown for a scrum for safety reasons. You can argue no offence has taken place so I shouldn't be whistling, but if I see a player in a dangerous position that could lead to injury, I prefer the preventative approach.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agreed Legal BUT a potential flashpoint. Manage with care.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
cf Will Carling being carried out of the in-goal and therefore failing to score.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I definitely feel I would be blowing up earlier in this scenario, especially with another support player arriving at pace.

Maybe that is why I have never refereed at this level!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What was the restart? Attacking 5m or defenders 22DO? I'd give the 22 every time.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Attacker brought the ball into ingoal, 22D/O.

This is the decision we would all give , but ChrisR was being mischievous .. there is no longer a Law Reference that tells you this

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is the decision we would all give , but ChrisR was being mischievous .. there is no longer a Law Reference that tells you this

If he'd had his wits about him he'd have 'accidentally' knocked on before going over the DBL ;)

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Attacker brought the ball into ingoal, 22D/O.

Incorrect I beleive.
Law 21.17
When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground or play the ball, the ball is dead. Play restarts with a five-metre scrum, in line with the place where the player was held up. The attacking team throws in.

- - - Updated - - -

What was the restart? Attacking 5m or defenders 22DO? I'd give the 22 every time.

Why ? The law says it should be a 5m attacking scrum - right ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Incorrect I beleive.
Law 21.17
When a player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal so that the player cannot ground or play the ball, the ball is dead. Play restarts with a five-metre scrum, in line with the place where the player was held up. The attacking team throws in.

Was he called as held up?
Or
Was he called as driven over the dead ball line, so made dead?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The ref didn't blow his whistle until after he was bundled over the line, so I presume a 22.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Incorrect I beleive.
Law 21.17

- - - Updated - - -

Why ? The law says it should be a 5m attacking scrum - right ?

Hold your horses.

'Held up' is what happens when play stops evolving. You have to give all the players involved - both attack and defence - a chance to actually do something and only declare it held up when they're all collapsed in a pile with the ball somewhere in the middle.

Calling held up in a case such as the Carling incident not only deprives the defending team the chance of bundling the BC out of play, but also deprives the BC the chance of grounding the ball.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hold your horses.

'Held up' is what happens when play stops evolving. You have to give all the players involved - both attack and defence - a chance to actually do something and only declare it held up when they're all collapsed in a pile with the ball somewhere in the middle.

Calling held up in a case such as the Carling incident not only deprives the defending team the chance of bundling the BC out of play, but also deprives the BC the chance of grounding the ball.

...."when they're all collapsed in a pile"....

This is the last thing you want.
To say you "only" blow at this stage is ridiculous!

Last edited: