[In-goal] Defending knock-on into touch-in-goal.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Putting aside the omission in the 2018 laws of instructions to the referee to offer a choice of scrum or lineout when a knock-on goes into touch.

If Red kick the ball into Blue's goal and Blue knock-on into touch-in-goal should the referee offer Red the choice of a 5m scrum or a line-out at 5m?

Hypothetical, but it can/will happen.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Putting aside the omission in the 2018 laws of instructions to the referee to offer a choice of scrum or lineout when a knock-on goes into touch.

If Red kick the ball into Blue's goal and Blue knock-on into touch-in-goal should the referee offer Red the choice of a 5m scrum or a line-out at 5m?

No, because a lineout isn't the restart for ball crossing TiG.

Now, if your question had said:
If Red kick the ball into Blue's goal and Blue knock-on back into FoP and ball crosses touchline should the referee offer Red the choice of a 5m scrum or a line-out at 5m?
then the answer would be yes.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Well, if we forget T-i-G, and the defender knocked on in goal irrespective of who put it there I'd suggest a 5m scrum attackers would be the outcome.

So ditto for KO into T-i-G.

I expect to be shown what a doofus I am now!

LOL

didds

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, if we forget T-i-G, and the defender knocked on in goal irrespective of who put it there I'd suggest a 5m scrum attackers would be the outcome.

So ditto for KO into T-i-G.

I expect to be shown what a doofus I am now!

LOL

didds

If there was going to be an option it would be 5m scrum (for the knock on) or drop out 22 (for TIG having been put into in goal by attacking team). Not only is the option no specified by law in this case, but also, I don't think many attacking teams would chose the latter option so probably not worth worrying about.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Well, if we forget T-i-G, and the defender knocked on in goal irrespective of who put it there I'd suggest a 5m scrum attackers would be the outcome. So ditto for KO into T-i-G.
Same here.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

18 f provides the lineout option for a KO into touch. Blue KO in goal is a 5m scrum unless it is grounded by Red when I would award a try.