Definitive guidance, U15 Girls

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can anybody signpost the parts of the U19 variations that apply to U15 girls please - I'm getting lots of coach guidance, but I'd like it in writing

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm not being snarky but I'm not sure I understand the question.

U15 Girls are by definition U19, so the U19 variations apply.

Are you saying that you need that to be more specific to placate the coaches?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Try this which has been posted on Manchester's website for this season.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Try this which has been posted on Manchester's website for this season.
Outstanding! Now try finding that on the RFU site. Stuart has clearly tried and failed, and I'm never going to get that 30 minutes back. They truly are completely useless!

In summary,
This age band takes into account players aged 12, 13 and 14 on 1st September. The RFUW’s U15 matches should be played to the RFU U14 variations but with the following difference: 13 aside - 6 in scrum & 7 backs 25 minute halves. Size 4 ball. Substituted players can be re-used at anytime. Festival and Tournament 80 minutes of rugby per day.
Line-out – Law 19 - Lifting/supporting is prohibited in these age groups, i.e. a player may not bind to a jumper until that player has returned to the ground.
Scrum – Law 20 - The scrum half not throwing the ball into the scrum must not move beyond the middle line of the scrum until the ball has emerged from the scrum or an opponent has placed their hands on the ball. In the event of a strike against the head, the scrum-half who has thrown the ball into the scrum is similarly restricted in not following the ball.
NB Contested scrums are permitted if both coaches agree. Coaches must ensure that the players have been suitably prepared for contested scrums. If there is any doubt then scrums must be uncontested

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers guys, that's exactly what I needed. I have been told that there's no No.8 pickup, and no-one has mentioned the contested scrums if both coaches agree. I've also been told that the ball is out when both hands are on

Very useful link, AJC, thanks!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm not being snarky but I'm not sure I understand the question. U15 Girls are by definition U19, so the U19 variations apply. Are you saying that you need that to be more specific to placate the coaches?
Not just the coaches, but the relevant union regs etc. In Wales there is a "Pathway" booklet which lists what is expected from each junior age group eg at U12s SHs aren't allowed past the middle of the scrum; at U13s the SHs they are. As they get older, these restrictions are whittled away. So if you have an U19 game, you need to know which age group it is as well, because you'll need to check the relevant section of the Pathway notes.

Can anybody signpost the parts of the U19 variations that apply to U15 girls please
Just a friendly word of advice; during your pre match brief don't forget to remind them to remove or at least tape up rings, piercings etc.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just a friendly word of advice; during your pre match brief don't forget to remind them to remove or at least tape up rings, piercings etc.

But decline any offers to show them to you :eek:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
We also got sent this in a Manchester pre-season email.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We got dished out little cards at the start of the season. Mine is in my kit bag somewhere.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
We got dished out little cards at the start of the season. Mine is in my kit bag somewhere.

I've got the BUCS one and another RFUW one. Accrued them at some point.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just a thought. My experience highlights some differences between U15's in Wales & England - lifting in the lineout for example (males). Is there anything I need to know about Welsh U15 Womens rulings, because one of my teams tomorrow is Welsh?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just a thought. My experience highlights some differences between U15's in Wales & England - lifting in the lineout for example (males). Is there anything I need to know about Welsh U15 Womens rulings, because one of my teams tomorrow is Welsh?
I don't think there is a "Womens" ruling, as the Pathway booklet is just split into ages and AFAIK doesn't differentiate between boys or girls.

I can have a look later.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Found it quicker than I thought. This is what you need ... the Rugby Pathway.

The relevant bit for U15s starts at page 22. :wink: As I understand it, you play to the laws of the country you're playing in, but it's probably good to check what the other side are used to doing. The one that caught me out was the scrums, in England the SH isn't allowed past the middle, whereas in Wales they can follow the ball round. Double check everything with the coaches.

Last edited:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
In England, the RFUW variations are in the RFU handbook.

For U15 girls, they play to the RFU's U14 variations (U19 Laws, 25 minutes each way, scrum half offside line is the centre of the scrum, no lifting in the line out and no squeeze ball) but they play 13 a side with 6 in the pack.

In theory, contested scrums should be the norm, but I expect most U15 games will have uncontested scrums as, chances are, at least one side won't have a trained front row.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers guys, that's exactly what I needed. I have been told that there's no No.8 pickup, and no-one has mentioned the contested scrums if both coaches agree.

That's just a "clarification".

The regulations assume scrums will be contested - it is rugby, guys and some of these girls will have been playing with contested scrums since they were U10s!

The point about "if they agree" is to deal with the usual pitchside nonsense about "but it says in the regs that scrums are uncontested" which is as true as "it says in the Continuum that there's no handing off to the face in U13 and no quick throw ins". (i.e. not true at all.)

I've also been told that the ball is out when both hands are on

The ball is out when you say it is like in all other games.

(At this level, you do need to support the SH in getting the ball away otherwise you'll spend the whole 50 minutes in scrums for the knock ons.)

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers all, now fully ready for this. It's a triangular fixture, with teams from Worcester, London Irish & Cardiff. 3 matches, 15 mins each way. Should be enormous fun, and I'm looking forward to it!

Appreciate all the help, thanks!

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just by way of an update-yesterday was an afternoon of rugby as it should be. First game, Irish v Cardiff, one high tackle, nothing else to manage, superb skills, fast pitch. Game 2 - Irish v Worcester, much closer, same sort of play. One more high tackle, different team, again fast & skilful. Game 3 - Worcester v Cardiff, no issues whatsopever, fast continuity play - almost no rucks at all.

If this is what to expect from the Ladies, can't wait for next week - I have a ladies U18 to do!