[INTERNATIONAL] Did anybody notice . . .

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
. . . that the USA defeated Scotland on Saturday night?

Mentioned here as Pat Clifton, US writer, commented on the refereeing:

[FONT=&quot]Wayne Barnes
This win would not have been possible without a seasoned, experienced, composed referee like Wayne Barnes. There are few more recognizable sirs in the world than he.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That couldn’t have been said about Francisco Pestrana, the green Argentine ref who oversaw Ireland’s 15-12 win over the USA in Houston in 2013, in which Ireland scored all their points from the tee, with four of the five penalties coming in the scrum. It couldn’t have been said at the time when Jerome Garces whistle-whipped the USA, handing out two red cards while allowing Italy’s Martin Castrogiovanni to officiate the scrums in Houston in 2012.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Younger referees, especially those new to being in the center of international tests, have a tendency to lean on the teams’ perceived strengths and weaknesses when making difficult calls. This has traditionally manifested itself in the scrum for the Eagles, as tier-one opponents are given the benefit of the doubt when a scrum goes down and the referee isn’t sure why.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barnes signaled his intentions early when he penalized Scotland for collapsing the game’s first pack down. He wasn’t affected by pleas from either side for more favorable calls. He was confident and sure of himself and delivered a great match, allowing it to be decided by the players.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If Barnes had been in the center at BBVA Compass Stadium in 2012 or 2013, the Eagles might have gotten their coveted scalp a bit sooner.[/FONT]

For those who may be interested in why this match elated the US rugby community, including myself, as the rest of the world yawned you may be interested in the rest of his column: www.planetrugby.com/news/usa-stun-scotland-in-houston/

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I have only seen the first half, but it seemed to me like WB was getting very frustrated with the logistal concerns that were not up to snuff. He was having an issue with the broadcast microphone, then a 4th/5th offical's mic was on when it wasn't supposed to be. Couldn't get the TMO to show more than 2 angles on a PT/YC and couldn't get the slo-mo at point of contact. Also some issue with the time keeper starting and stopping the clock on his own without WB input. All very messy.

I look forward to watching the 2nd half and seeing the comeback.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well done Barnesy . Is he currently the #1 ref in the world ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Wayne Barnes
This win would not have been possible without a seasoned, experienced, composed referee like Wayne Barnes. There are few more recognizable sirs in the world than he.
That couldn’t have been said about Francisco Pestrana, the green Argentine ref who oversaw Ireland’s 15-12 win over the USA in Houston in 2013, in which Ireland scored all their points from the tee, with four of the five penalties coming in the scrum. It couldn’t have been said at the time when Jerome Garces whistle-whipped the USA, handing out two red cards while allowing Italy’s Martin Castrogiovanni to officiate the scrums in Houston in 2012.
Younger referees, especially those new to being in the center of international tests, have a tendency to lean on the teams’ perceived strengths and weaknesses when making difficult calls. This has traditionally manifested itself in the scrum for the Eagles, as tier-one opponents are given the benefit of the doubt when a scrum goes down and the referee isn’t sure why.
Barnes signaled his intentions early when he penalized Scotland for collapsing the game’s first pack down. He wasn’t affected by pleas from either side for more favorable calls. He was confident and sure of himself and delivered a great match, allowing it to be decided by the players.
If Barnes had been in the center at BBVA Compass Stadium in 2012 or 2013, the Eagles might have gotten their coveted scalp a bit sooner.

What a load of tosh......we only ever lost becasue the referee was useless....which should translate into we only won because the referee was good! Nothing about the quality of the players :shrug:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree that the tone sounds like a whine but . . . .

. . . . there is truth to his point. The US front row used to be the whipping boy for the better packs (and it seemed that everyone had a better pack). I well remember the two matches he references and I won't say that the refereeing was the cause of the losses but it sure didn't help.

Saturday's side belonged on the pitch with the Scots and he lauds the players in the rest of the article. It's worth a read as it covers the train wreck that is USA Rugby and our beacons are the both the 15s and 7s sides.

I well remember 1977 when the RFU would not honor the US and designated their side an "England 15" instead of a Test.

The win over Scotland felt really, really good.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It was a great result for rugby. Any win by a "minnow" over a "power" breaths life into the game. We need that. Wales Vs Western Samoa "Thank God we didn't play the whole of Samoa" was hard to take for a Welshman BUT Rugby is bigger than any of us and the emergence of the "New kid on the block" is to be welcomed.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Saturday's side belonged on the pitch with the Scots and he lauds the players in the rest of the article. It's worth a read as it covers the train wreck that is USA Rugby and our beacons are the both the 15s and 7s.
At least you are winning games...