Differing grades for us new boys!

big fish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ladies and Gentleman,
Can anyone clear up a query on gradings for me?
I see from the forum that other new boys/girls in other societies are graded a lot higher than me but dont seem to have any greater experience. Is this because I really am rubbish? or is it just the other societies procedures?
Would it benefit me to move societies as i am on the border of two other societies who seem to start gradings higher?

I desparately want to progress and I am getting very good feedback from all coaches/captains but dont seem to be impressing the Society despite doing a couple of games at least 3/4 grades higher than my grade last year.

Thanks

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
A lot depends on how often your society can watch you and help you on the way 'up the ladder'.

Have you been assessed often? Have you asked to be seen more?

Grading committes don't meet that often so perhaps you need to ask. If you are being appointed to games at a higher grade then it points to them thinking you are worthy of being tried at a higher level.

Good luck :)

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Factors which could play a part could be

How low down your local leagues go?
What level were you playing at when you switched to refereeing?
How long a gap did you leave between finishing playing and taking up the whistle?
What is custom and practise in your society?
How many assessors/advisers/coach type people do they have so how often can you expect to get watched?
Are you seen as the next Wayne Barnes?
How ageist is your Society? (not totally serious with that last one.)

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Is this because I really am rubbish?
Thanks

Yup, it's got to be that.

;)

Keep plugging away, I think the first year or so is a "feeling out" period for both the ref and the society, people find their level very fast though.

I met a ref from an english society when he came over here in the spring, he was graded 12 at that point but was vaulted to 7 when they re graded because his potential and the skills he's already developed are so good.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
There do seem to be significant differences between societies when it comes to initial gradings.

I think it's got a fair bit to do with each county's league structure and the way of allocating league levels.

In Sussex we have a pyramid league structure with more than one div2 and more than one div3 (which is the lowest it goes), So if you count down one level for each div you don't get to L12/L13. Novice refs seem to start at L11.

I think in Hants they have a more linear league structure, so counting one level for each div gets down to L13(?).

CLearly this doesn't mean a Sussex L11 (say) ias a s good as a Hants L11 - at least that's what I can make out.

Maybe at L7/L8 things have sorted themselves out, but below that things appear very inconsistent making the comaprisons at 'novice' level you are seeking to make invalid.

To me the important things initially are:

* Getting games at the right level (not too high too soon).
* Improving month on month.
* Getting the occassional game to stretch you.
* Getting positive feedback from players and coaches.
* Hoping that whan an assessor turns up it's not on one of your off days.
* Getting noticed by the two or three people in you society who really matter as someone who is committed and with some ambition.
* Understanding what the specific levels of performance need to be shown for promotions (IF your society has them and makes them known).

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Gents

All Societies try to follow RFU guidelines on gradings and as we are all in Federations and Groups, and assessors' do training meets and exchanges the same as referees, there should be broad consistency. How they handle the first ever grading may indeed be different.

Gradings follow the League structures (RFU standard system) and so as Alan says we have a linear model down to L11 (Hampshire 3), plus we have one more grade below that at 12 for 'starter' refs. Once a Hants Ref reaches level 6 he cannot go higher, unless selected for the SW Group at 5 and National Panel at 4 and less by the Federation & Group Grading Committees, which is a competitive selection with limited places, and not just on current achievement level.

We run level 10 and 11 exchanges with both Sussex and Dorset & Wilts and from those refs I would say they are very similar in level criteria - so about right. Likewise when we exchange at level 7, 8 and 9 we don't often find anyone out of line - only occasionally perhaps not capable of going the next step up.

In Hampshire our Grading Committee meets twice a season - at Christmas and May. These meetings are timed to be before submissions have to be made to Federation Squad and to Federation for National TJ Panel candidates (both of which have RFU rules in terms of how many reports at what levels are needed), but 90% of our time is spent on the main membership's gradings. We review every active referee based on the Assessment & Coaching Reports for Development Squads, and Assesments for all other members. We also look at the 'returned Club Card' summary for each referee.

Finally we see if the referee has attended Training Meetings, is doing Continuous Development Award, how many matches were done, and how available he is for re-appointments.

From level 10 upwards once a referee has consolidated at a grade level (which may take a season or a matter of weeks) and he is considered to have the potential to make the next level by assessors/coach), he is appointed to first an in-County match at the next level and then an external exchange - those assesment reports will be critical in any promotions.

For level 11 & 12 referees we will promote based on one assessment rerport *(at the higher level) and 10 or more club cards. Hence being keen to take re-appointments can accelaerate your progress !

When joining the Society with ELRA the part III enables us to do a basic safety check and also a 'potential' assessment - knowledge of law, management & communication skills, rugby knowledge, etc.

Once the referee has done 10-12 matches he will have his first full assessment and that will determine his grade. Usually it will be 12 (the lowest grade Hampshire gives) and sometimes 11 or even 10 - once or twice we have someone go straight to 9 (for example - ex County player, 15 years 1st XV experience at level 5, stage 2 RFU Coach) but that is unusual. Also we have been asked by RFU to 'fast track' people in the past and we have seen a couple of guys get to level 7 in one season (one was an injured (neck) ex-pro Premiership guy doing 5 matches a week !), but they have to then do all the Society, Federation and Group Squad steps and prove their potential and actual performance in the same way as everyone else.

The Grading Committee are not mind readers and will make decisions based on the evidence, based on refs enthusiasm and commitment and from feedback that indicates ambition AND ability. Almost all referees think they are better than they really are (by varying degrees), I know I did until I saw myself on video !

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In Gloucestershire we have RFU Leagues down to 11, and use 12 & 13 below that for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th XVs (Merit Tables). Novices start at 13 usually.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, we very occassionally start at 13, most are a little older mind... :rolleyes: :p