Ding Dong Test???

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So with all of the issues surrounding head injuries and concussions and their affect on the players and potential recruitment for the sport, how is it that a top referee like CJ is allowed to trivialize the issue by saying "ding dong test" instead of "concussion test" during an internationally broadcast match (Eng vs Ire, 70:00). I would think that WR has a specific wording that referees are expected use and not make potential head injuries seem like a joke?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If he said that, it is bang out of order.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
how is it that a top referee like CJ is allowed to trivialize the issue by saying "ding dong test" instead of "concussion test" during an internationally broadcast match (Eng vs Ire, 70:00).

http://www.bdlive.co.za/sport/rugby/2013/08/01/rugby-too-soft-in-the-head-over-concussions

I'm not sure I see it as trivialising as the phrase "ding dong test" appears to have some currency & history at least in South Africa. I guess you perceive the phrase "ding dong" as a bit comical and I can understand that.

Is telling a player "take 10 minutes in the sin bin" trivialising foul play? Probably no.
Is telling a player "take 10 minutes in the naughty corner" trivialising foul play? Probably yes.

Maybe its what you get used to.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
On Saturday I had a player start grunting and beating his chest. After he climbed up the floodlight tower I insisted he go off for a King Kong test.

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8